Barwon River

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Billo

Barwon River

Post by Billo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope you're having a nice Christmas break. I had a free arvo the week before Christmas, so headed off to Sheepwash on the Barwon. It wasn't as busy as I had expected and got myself a spot to the right of the carpark. Arrived about a hour before low tide and fished for about 2 hours. Weather was amazing, not too hot. A young kid near me pulled in two nice Trevally (approx 35cm) using blue bait and soon after I hooked one also (35cm), but on mussels. Others were pulling in undersized fish and releasing, which was good to see. I managed to get another nice Trevally at around 37cm. Left quite happy, having had a relaxing time. I find this spot is very "hit and miss" for me, so landing 2 fish made my day.

jsonh

Re: Barwon River

Post by jsonh » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:52 am

Hey mate,

Totally agree with you Bout the Barwon being hit and miss. The Barwon is my new favorite spot atm and being from Melbourne it takes me about an hour and a half to get there, so going home with donuts is heartbreaking :/.

I think the secret to the Barwon is always fishing the change of tide times and using quality baits, I heard tube worms do really well down there.

As with everything persistence is key, the more we fish a spot the more we learn about what to do and what not to do, at least you're getting out there and enjoying the fresh air. :a_goodjob:

GR1KTR

Post by GR1KTR » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:32 pm

I'm heading down to fish the Barwon at Barwon Heads tomorrow and was wondering how it's fishing at the moment?

Anyone been recently?
Last edited by GR1KTR on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:58 pm

Billo wrote:Hi everyone,

Hope you're having a nice Christmas break. I had a free arvo the week before Christmas, so headed off to Sheepwash on the Barwon. It wasn't as busy as I had expected and got myself a spot to the right of the carpark. Arrived about a hour before low tide and fished for about 2 hours. Weather was amazing, not too hot. A young kid near me pulled in two nice Trevally (approx 35cm) using blue bait and soon after I hooked one also (35cm), but on mussels. Others were pulling in undersized fish and releasing, which was good to see. I managed to get another nice Trevally at around 37cm. Left quite happy, having had a relaxing time. I find this spot is very "hit and miss" for me, so landing 2 fish made my day.
At least you caught a couple of nice fish! Always feels good. Better than going home empty handed! :)

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Couple of travellys is a good catch from there, not the easiest river to fish land based, good work!! :)

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Nice catch you got there, Silver Trevally are a good fighter on light gear.

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:16 am

hey guys i have a caravan at barwon heads and ive been visiting it for the last ten years. im going down this long weekend and ill leave a report on how i go. im now going to use this thread to give barwon heads fishing reports and pictures. :water: :cheers:

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:33 pm

:thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:58 pm

barwonboy wrote:hey guys i have a caravan at barwon heads and ive been visiting it for the last ten years. im going down this long weekend and ill leave a report on how i go. im now going to use this thread to give barwon heads fishing reports and pictures. :water: :cheers:
Good luck mate.
Hope you do well :thumbsup:

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Look forward to your reports.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”