Very, very quiet Saturday on Barwon Estuary

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
sarsi

Very, very quiet Saturday on Barwon Estuary

Post by sarsi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:58 pm

My wife and I spent 7 hours last Saturday fishing the banks of Barwon River (just past the bridge) and managed to land 4 mullets. We arrived at 11:30AM and left at 6:30PM. High tide was 3:15PM. It was a very sunny day, with light winds. I noticed that the landscape of the banks has changed tremendously from the last time I've seen it - there seems to be massive erosion as the council closed part of the river walk.

Four (4) mullets for 7 hours? Very disappointed :(

Fishsniper

Re: Very, very quiet Saturday on Barwon Estuary

Post by Fishsniper » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:10 pm

I do very well at the Barwon estuary, there is a bit of a knack to it, there are some big trevelly going at the moment, shoot me a PM and I will tell you how I fish it ;-)

sarsi

Post by sarsi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:14 pm

Fishsniper wrote:I do very well at the Barwon estuary, there is a bit of a knack to it, there are some big trevelly going at the moment, shoot me a PM and I will tell you how I fish it ;-)
Thanks Fishsniper... I forgot to mention that we also caught maybe a hundred undersized salmons (released, of course) and dozens of crabs.

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:48 pm

I forgot to mention that Sand crabs are a huge problem ATM in the Barwon, you have to keep your bait off the bottom that doesn't mean using a float but light weights to allow the rig to move with the current, if you keep it on the bottom for more than 10 seconds the crabs will get it ;-)

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”