Barwon heads crabbing question

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
kevinuy360

Barwon heads crabbing question

Post by kevinuy360 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:27 pm

Im planning to go barwon heads tomorrow and wondering if theres a good spot for crabbing. its going to be my first crabbing session. So can you give me any tips? like what bait should i use? and what is the legal crab trap in victoria? include a picture if you can. :cheers:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Barwon heads crabbing question

Post by 4liters » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:55 pm

Probably best you get familiar with the DEPI regulations yourself.
Website: http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fishing-and- ... al-fishing
If you get the smartphone app you can check the rules where ever you are, which is useful if you catch something you didn't expect and want to know if you can keep it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

kevinuy360

Post by kevinuy360 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:46 pm

i know about the depi but i cant find the link for the crab

Phwaah

Post by Phwaah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:04 am

You gotta use the right crab nets. I was on the small jetty off ozone road just inside the bridge. Went last fornight and there was heaps of sand crabs there. Just used chicken carcass as the bait. Zip tie is down to the net and after about 10 minutes bring the net in. Good luck!

Only 2 hoop nets per person (the person must have a fishing licence, or be exempt e.g. aged over 65)
Net must have the owner's name and address on a tag attached to the net.
Closed season from 1 September through to 15 November, except Port Phillip Bay, Western Port Bay and Gippsland Lakes.
There is no size limit, but each net owner can only keep 30 crabs maximum (so, throw back the little ones!).
Maximum net size is 50cm diameter hoops and 50cm for depth of the net.
Yabby Pots or Opera House Nets are banned.
Crabs cannot be sold, only commercially licensed fishermen can sell their catch.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”