Torquay Saturday 6th

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Corndiggly

Torquay Saturday 6th

Post by Corndiggly » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:13 pm

Managed a few hours down at Torquay on Saturday to blood a new reel that I had picked up in Geelong on the way to drop the mrs off in Torquay.
Wasn't particularly well dressed for the occasion as the original plan wasn't to spin the beaches but I was in the area and thought I might check out a few spots for the future. I pulled up to one of the beaches and saw a dozen other fishos and the surf wasnt too crazy so thought it must be worth a shot so rigged the rod with a new reel I bought on the way through Geelong and tied on a slug straight to the braid as I had no leader with me lol.
After about an hour throwing slugs most of the other fishos had left and I hadn't had much of a sniff but the weather was nice and the water reasonably warm.
I persisted as there were scales on the beach which gave me a bit of hope that the fish were about and by this stage there was no turning back as I was saturated anyway lol
I had a small salmon take the lure basically right at my feet in the shore break which boosted my spirits :super: then I had a couple of other hits which didn't stick and it went quiet for a little while.
I changed to a heavier 65g lure and started launching it out past the last set of breakers and on the 3rd cast I hooked up to something solid that started peeling drag, got it close to the beach and it jumped and spat the hook :snap: dammit!!
Another 5 minutes when by and I got another solid hit, determined not to let this one get away I tightened the drag and skull dragged this one up the beach lol in came a nice 40 or so cm sambo :woohoo:
IMG_0134.jpg
Managed a couple more over the next hour or 2 so not a crazy hot bite but enough to keep me entertained at least.

A pod of dolphins swap past which was pretty cool and then you could see them either chasing fish or playing a few hundred meters off shore as they we jumping out of the water and splashing about.
A surfer paddled past and there was a fin about 15m behind him, another dolphin - but if I were him I would have left a brown stain lol. :shark:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (36.33 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Packed up just before it got dark and just in time to pick up the mrs and head home, was a cracking arvo to be on the water amongst all this crappy weather we have been having.

Also if anyone is looking a great mid level beach spin reel I can recommend the Shimano Aero Spin 4000, bang on $200 or possibly cheaper online and designed for this type of fishing, it has a wider spool than a traditional 4000, waterproof 9kg drag, and couple of funky little guards between the rotor and the spool to stop line from catching under the spool and it cast a mile! Definitely a nice step up from the Sienna 4000 it replaced.

eslop

Re: Torquay Saturday 6th

Post by eslop » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:33 am

Nice! I'm heading to Torquay on Thursday for a few days with the family. I promised the misses I wouldn't bring a rod, might have to break that promise lol.
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:57 am

eslop wrote:Nice! I'm heading to Torquay on Thursday for a few days with the family. I promised the misses I wouldn't bring a rod, might have to break that promise lol.
Lol she'll get over it they always do ;)
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:04 am

Nice report :good:
It's so cool catching Sambos off the beach with lures.
I've been wondering weather chucking a berley bag etc would hold them around longer, what are your thoughts?
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

fooie69

Post by fooie69 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Ill second the aero 4000 recommendation. I picked up a 5000 ci4 version from Japan and absolutely love it. Light as a feather n casts like a dream.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Torquay beach,same beach at life saving club? Or other side point towards the boat ramp...thanks for report, might give Torquay or jan juc a crack soon.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Corndiggly

Post by Corndiggly » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Cheers guys
FishnMiss wrote:Nice report :good:
I've been wondering weather chucking a berley bag etc would hold them around longer, what are your thoughts?
Never tried it but it should work in theory, bit like me hanging around the all you can eat buffet :dinner: :lol:
bowl wrote:Torquay beach,same beach at life saving club? Or other side point towards the boat ramp...thanks for report, might give Torquay or jan juc a crack soon.
Yeah just down the stairs at the life saving club and left towards the bluff.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:15 pm

love that aero, i've got the same one. "seat of the pants" feeling that it casts further than the sedona etc

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:58 am

Nice fishing!!
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

sparkymizzo

Post by sparkymizzo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:26 am

FishnMiss wrote:Nice report :good:
you will attract stingrays. :-D

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”