Redfin locations? (Melbourne & Surrounds)

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
biggar

Re: Redfin locations? (Melbourne & Surrounds)

Post by biggar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:38 pm

just a matter of finding a dam that rarely gets fished. I live in the North East suburbs and its taken my mates and i 2 years to find a really productive redfin dam. When you find a dam like the one I have you'll be very satisfied
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Milk man

Post by Milk man » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:44 pm

I found a really good dam a few years ago.. I'd get the odd 40cm + reddies out of it too.. Then moved out of the area, went back about 8 months ago and got donuts.. People would see me catching fish, tell their mate, he tells his mate and they pillage the joint.. The last few times I fished it there would usually be 1 or 2 other people fishing.. It really doesn't take long for the word to spread.. I'm actually thinking of trying it again tomorrow after work! Fingers crossed lol
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

biggar

Post by biggar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:49 pm

That sucks man, this dam is on the down low atm
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:55 pm

eddyt wrote:Rowville - use worms. almost guarantee you'll get a redfin because they are there in plague proportions, mostly small around 10cm-20cm though. They don't seem to like lures there as much as some other lakes, but good ones to use are very small SP grubs/critters around 1-2". Small hardbodies will usually get followed but not many takes. Best spots are in Cogley lake for a chance at slightly bigger models, and Sutton lake near the playground. Go at dawn or just before dusk for best results.

Karkarook - a bit of a hit and miss, but usually will get at least 1 at the bottom of the pier. Only ever caught them on lures, I've had times where I catch non stop using SP grubs and blades and everyone around doesn't even get a bite. Also just before dusk is the best time.

Any other lake - most lakes hold reddies so keep trying and vary your retrieves! Lures outfish bait almost all the time, but if you're patient, bring a little scoop net and get some little fish and use them as bait. Reddies will pretty much eat any fish that fits in their mouth, even if it is half their size. Keep trying!
in regards to Rowville, ive never caught a fish on bait there.......hooked upto a few rainbows a few days after stocking and caught a few reddies on Rapala CD-3's and CD-5's....but the best lure for reddies there ive found was a kmart special Tsunami Super Trout (rainbow trout colour lure) but yes they are rather small only around 10-20cm...

at karkarook its pretty easy to get them on SP's, Spinners and Hard bodies too... but sadly the best redfin spots were around the eastern side of the lake (no fishing area)

T_C Fishing

Post by T_C Fishing » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Went to Taylors lake with my friend to try for carp and redfin. Ended up only catching an Eastern Snake Headed Turtle and a few suspected bites from a small carp or roach. Probably wont go back.

T_C Fishing

Post by T_C Fishing » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Oh by the way are there any other urban lakes or rivers that are good for redfin and carp in the western suburbs other than Taylors Lake?

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:33 pm

I live around the corner from Taylors Lakes boys! We gotta do a fishing trip one day for those reddies, I know a few spots! I also saw (MAYBE) some trout in another spot but they are fed like crazy!

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Pykes Creek resavior near Bacchus marsh mate plenty of reddies I'm going there tomorrow mate if Ur keen in my boat I'll msg u

T_C Fishing

Post by T_C Fishing » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:15 pm

There doesn't seem to be many fish in Taylors Lake at the moment. Either I was fishing in the wrong spot or I wasn't using the right bait. (I was using corn and cheese and was fishing of the pier just off the playground.) I was however getting some bites though.

Fisho11
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Fisho11 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Small Yabbies seem to be gun on reddies, also don't seem to get too many carp on them.

Return to “Other Species”