Redfin locations? (Melbourne & Surrounds)

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
gecko61

Re: Redfin locations? (Melbourne & Surrounds)

Post by gecko61 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:04 pm

if your interested in a trip to monageeta, i would gladly show you around. pm me if interested cheers

mcmonier

Post by mcmonier » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:54 pm

You could get some cheap hb's from bigw or kmart to start of with.
Small minnow shape in trout/redfin pattern, both have red colouring which I believe is important.
That's what I use at sugarloaf and have had success.

Also caught a few at lake eildon a couple weeks ago on worms.

Good luck on your next session!

nightcreature

Post by nightcreature » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:34 pm

If you are only fishing in daylight hours, might I suggest you start trying in the dark? Get there at nearly last light so you can get set up.... and give it a couple of hours in the dark!!
NC

vr84

Post by vr84 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks guys, I've tried Niddrie lake at night before until around 1am, the specific night was still and there were a lot of fish feeding on bugs at the surface of the lake, so I stayed around hoping to land one on bait but had no luck.

I also tried out the lakes at Rowville again on friday night 7pm until around 11pm but no luck again, the main central lake until 10pm and the lake furthest from stud road for about an hour. The final lake has a lot of large carp in there near the storm water run off entrance, we could see they were there but we couldn't land one on worms.

Will keep trying for reddies / trouts in the coming weekends :)

nightcreature

Post by nightcreature » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:20 pm

Freshwater might improve when the weather cools down....

vr84

Post by vr84 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:21 am

Had some luck with reddies when using raw prawn cutlets recently, it became my favourite bait for a few weeks until I suddenly developed an allergy to raw prawns, to that's the end of that. The local lakes here are full of eels and carp, which tend to hook up regularly when using worms. Anyone got other ideas for some deadbaits that work on redfin? Seen some threads online with poms talking about strips of raw squid (resembling a worm) and also pilchard fillets, I'm guessing this is because their redfin is native and mostly in estuaries which turn into freshwater so they may have developed a taste for them over there? Seems an odd choice locally but never know until its been tried I guess, although I've caught eels on pilchards before so might not be best.

Baby reddies are a no go there, the swamp next to the main lake has thousands of baby carp / mosquitofish but no reddies to be seen, as both are noxious I wouldn't be able to use them. Lures are out at the local too, tried many times with spin lures and soft plastics without any luck there, the water quality is not the best at present and the visibility is poor from about 30cm down. Looking to find a new type of deadbait to use. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Aside from bait, anyone know if lighter weight poppers would be a go to lure reddies out of the murky depths? Got a few here for bream but never tried them on reddies before.

If all else fails I might buy a yak and stick to lures alone :)

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 am

I find that pink tassie devils are my killers on Redfin. What I like best is that they are fairly heavy, so I can cover significantly more ground than if I were using a 2g spinner.

Auravale is my preffered redfinning spot, I don't think time of day etc matters that much when redfinning, and it's more about consistently putting your lure out there until you get one. Usually when I get one i'll get a few in quick succession.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

vr84

Post by vr84 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks Dougie, do you kayak or go lakeside? Each time I have been there I've gone on the side with the carpark / toilets and haven't had any luck, might try out the other area next time

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Drive down Auravale road to the usually empty carpark between auravale and bobs park mate.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ashhroyan

Post by ashhroyan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:14 pm

DougieK wrote:Drive down Auravale road to the usually empty carpark between auravale and bobs park mate.
Headed there today with a tassie devil got nothing :(

Return to “Other Species”