Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Nuscani

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:There are (Australian native) Eels in Gardiners Creek...
I've fished there many times, i've caught eels there before but I will catch 1 eel after like 20 carp

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Nuscani wrote:Just a question, i was carp fishing on the weekend and i was wondering what will happen if the carps are all culled, now that they make up 80% of all freshwater fish in Australia, creeks such as gardiners creek will be pretty much empty. So will that be the end of fishing creeks such as gardiners creek and others full of carp?
Nuscani wrote:I've fished there many times, i've caught eels there before but I will catch 1 eel after like 20 carp
I think you may have answered your own question there.

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Nuscani wrote:Just a question, i was carp fishing on the weekend and i was wondering what will happen if the carps are all culled, now that they make up 80% of all freshwater fish in Australia, creeks such as gardiners creek will be pretty much empty. So will that be the end of fishing creeks such as gardiners creek and others full of carp?
Nuscani wrote:I've fished there many times, i've caught eels there before but I will catch 1 eel after like 20 carp
Yeh mate, sorry I didn't go into detail with my question. I understood with the eels but my concern is that it will take a long time for other fish to populate such as cod etc.

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Nuscani wrote:
Cornacarpio wrote:
Yeh mate, sorry I didn't go into detail with my question. I understood with the eels but my concern is that it will take a long time for other fish to populate such as cod etc.
Cod are not native to Gardiners creek...but yes better than carp!

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:45 pm

rodderslw wrote:
Nuscani wrote:
Cornacarpio wrote:
Cod are not native to Gardiners creek...but yes better than carp!
What fish other than eels are?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Im not sure how you will go stocking natives such as cod legally south of the great dividing range.

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:57 pm

rb85 wrote:Im not sure how you will go stocking natives such as cod legally south of the great dividing range.
What fish do you think will replace carp because when this amazing carp virus comes out they will all be dead soon. What should it be?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:02 pm

rb85 wrote:Im not sure how you will go stocking natives such as cod legally south of the great dividing range.
by not getting caught :rofl:
Nuscani wrote:
What fish do you think will replace carp because when this amazing carp virus comes out they will all be dead soon. What should it be?
greyling, galaxias, eels, tupong, blackfish, smelt
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Depends on the area and how dense the carp population is in certain areas I guess. A river such as the Yarra let species that are there now such as Macquarie Perch hopefully spread out more throughout the system. A place like Garners creek maybe blackfish and Australian Grayling.

The main aim I would feel is to replenish fish stocks as similar as possible to what they were prior to human disturbance with a few exceptions such as in the Yarra I guess polution in urban areas would have to be taken into consideration.

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:09 pm

rb85 wrote:Depends on the area and how dense the carp population is in certain areas I guess. A river such as the Yarra let species that are there now such as Macquarie Perch hopefully spread out more throughout the system. A place like Garners creek maybe blackfish and Australian Grayling.

The main aim I would feel is to replenish fish stocks as similar as possible to what they were prior to human disturbance with a few exceptions such as in the Yarra I guess polution in urban areas would have to be taken into consideration.
Thanks for the info, cant wait for them to get wiped out :a_goodjob:

Return to “Other Species”