Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:43 pm

OK, went to GC today (as per usual) with my housemate, who has been acting as my netsman for the past couple of outings. I thought it was about high time he experienced this Carp-catching caper for himself, so I generously outfitted him with one of my $9 Sportfisher rod/reel combo's I picked up on special at K-mart...

I promised him 'first-crack' at any Carp I saw with my polarised glasses. Didn't have to wait long before I saw 3 surfacing, so I invited him over to have a cast. He lands the float perfectly in between the 3 of them and scares them all away Bangg Meanwhile, I spotted one out of the corner of my eye, cast at it with great precision and finesse and BANG! It took off like a Train (Express). The reel screamed as it peeled off about 40-50m of line, and conveniently for it, around a bend and the line got a bit tangled up in some branches overhanging on the bend. Thinking it was a MONSTER (70cm+ for me) I decided it was worth *swimming* :puke: across the creek to de-snag it, which I did. It went for another almighty run - back to where I originally hooked it. Anyway, after another 5-10 minutes of fighting it, it finally came to...I can't really describe how I felt after I landed it. It went all of 50cm (I seriously thought it was going to be HUGE :cry: )

Anyway, having successfully scared all the Carp away at that particular section of the creek we went in search for another Carp-infested section. We didn't have to wait long before I spotted a few more, and after seeing my housemates first attempt at trying to sight cast for Carp I said 'Look here, this is how you do it' as I cast my corn kernel in front of a decent sized Carp: he (the Carp) wasn't interested. I kept harassing this Carp to take my bait, but he would do everything but: sniff it, watch it, swim around it...then I hear my housemate call out as his rod is bending in half :r I couldn't believe it :whoh: , he hooked onto one...A good fight ensued (keep the line tight! Reel in!!), as I was now the one with the net in my hand - as he landed a 54cm Mirror Carp - as his first fish! And here I was thinking you actually needed some skill to stalk Carp....Needless to say he was rapt and I think I've recruited another life-long 'fisho'...we have a trip planned for tomorrow (and the day after that and...)

CARP TOLL - 14
Attachments
nmc.jpg
50cm.jpg
mc54.jpg
DSC00520.JPG
mc54.jpg
50cm.jpg
b51.jpg
guntermc.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:41 am

Good stuff. I enjoy this thread - look forward to the next instalment. Almost makes me want to go and target a few .... Almost :)

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Well, day 2 of out angling adventures didn't disappoint, I hooked up fairly on in the piece, landing one in the 55cm+ range that took forever to land (I may have gone overboard with the light gear set-up, as the advantage is definitely in the Carp's favour). As usual, that scared away the Carp in that particular swim, so we moved to another spot. We saw a huge school of about 20 swimming around in very shallow water, exhibiting what looked like spawning behaviour. We had a few light nibbles, but they weren't really interested in our bait...

I hooked into another one in our next spot. And shortly after my housemate - Gunter, hooked into a couple of his own. He got the catch of the day - a 58cm Common, followed by a slightly smaller one. We tried a few pools on out way back sight-fishing, but no cigar...

Although we only got a couple each, it wasn't a bad session, as we always felt a bite wasn't too far away, and there was always something happening...

CARP TOLL - 18
Attachments
g2.jpg
2b.jpg
58.jpg
4carp.jpg
4carp.jpg
m1.jpg
g2.jpg
g1.jpg
g1.jpg (533.29 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
58.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:50 pm

my aquarium will be empty soon.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

sloth

Post by sloth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:45 pm

You're going to need a bigger garden ...

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:57 pm

man, when you can see schools of them, you should be able to cast net the suckers. you'd be able to clean gardiners creek out in no time.

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Is that the Bullseye Rod I see there?

Nice work on the carp, keep up the good work.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:05 am

Hope your going to be at the carp cull on Sunday, in Boronia - with your skills you might be able to give us some tips.

sloth

Post by sloth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Where's today's report? Don't tell me you gave them a day off :)

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:18 pm

sloth wrote: Where's today's report? Don't tell me you gave them a day off :)
I took my Surf Rod down to the Creek today with a big star sinker to combat the increased flow. I don't think there's any Sharks in there... :doh1: Carp weren't on the bite either... :(
ChrisD wrote: Hope your going to be at the carp cull on Sunday, in Boronia - with your skills you might be able to give us some tips.
I pencilled myself in for the one at Ruffey Lake in Doncaster, but the change of location to Boronia/Ferntree Gully kind of makes things difficult for me as I don't have a car, and the Sunday timetable for public transport is a bit of a b*tch (I understand that this circumstance is beyond the organisers' control, especially since the council decided to ban fishing at Ruffey Lake :-x ). I guess it will depend on how desperate I am on Sunday after going approximately 96 hours without a fish - and the events of Day 4 in Radelaide...
Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run.

Return to “Other Species”