Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:21 pm

I got told by the guys at the Complete Angler in Boxhill (before it closed obviously) that there's some "big units" in Surrey Dive. Trouble is those pesky 'no fishing signs' and remote-control boats...

Another place to try near there is Lakeside Drive near the Vicroads Burwood East office. I went fishing there a few times before I moved west, was never able to fully suss the place out - only caught small reddies, but saw a few largish Carp surface from time to time...

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Headed out today to take advantage of the very propitious weather conditions to my new-found local, Cherry Lake.

I had a bite/hookup within the first 20 minutes which seemed quite a decent size, but unfortunately it snagged me. I left the bail open in the hope that it would swim out after a minute or two, but unfortunately he didn't want to play along and I had no choice but to snap the line.

Shortly after the snagging incident I landed a tiddler which made up for my misfortune (somewhat). I got two more tiddlers after that (all taken on corn). I was a little disappointed given the weather, thought I might have cleaned up today, but it was not to be. Still better than heading home empty-handed though.

I'm finding Cherry Lake a tough spot to fish. While I don't seem to have too much trouble hooking one or two, finding a large specimen or two is proving to be difficult...

:fish22:

+3

2016/17 Total: 10 (Cumulative Total: 1447)
Attachments
20161120_152741.jpg
First Carp for the day!
20161120_162604.jpg
3 Micro-carpios for the day

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:37 pm

Nice mate. Well done :thumbsup:

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:11 am

Rup.Quinn123 wrote:its quite annoying because theres bassically no ponds or lakes within a 15 killometre radius of me, i live in srrey hills so i might check out gardiners creek
Mate, your not looking hard enough! I live cpl suburbs from you and there are plenty of carp holes: Koonung creek which runs along the eastern freeway holds carp in certain holes. Its skinny water so the fish don't get much bigger than 2kg but what they lack in size they make up with in fight. Finesse fishing is crucial at this spot.

Haven't fish Ringwood lake but i rode past few weeks back and there were a number of fishos, presumably fishing for carp.

Blackburn lake also holds carp and really big ones at that, but there are no fishing signs around the place and plenty of 'do-gooder' walkers who will give you a piece of their mind if they see you fishing. 95% of them don't know that the only fish in the lake is carp but they won't let facts get in the way of a good witchhunt.

The yarra at in fairfield is my favourite cos of its easy access and super consistent fishing. The fish here get supersized pretty quick from all the bread the ducks miss. This spot is a popular duck feeding spot for those not familiar.

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:10 pm

I rode past Koonung Creek a few times on my bike in the Box Hill/Doncaster area. It was that narrow that even I doubted there might be Carp in there...wish I had given it a crack now. Also fairly close by was the Yarra in Balwyn North...never gave it a go, but it looked rather fishy. I agree that there are plenty of holes around Surrey Hills - you just have to know where to look!

As for lightningx, I can always count on you for some positive encouragement :thumbsup:

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:46 pm

Still adding to that tally Cornacarpio. Well done.
Since TNA has been shut down I have not really chased carp for a while - this crumby weather is not helping either.
Have scoped out some potential streams and creeks running into the Yarra the last few weeks that look promising when the rain finally stops.

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:29 pm

More power to you CC! hopefully you haven't run out of carp related historical excerpts.

Rup.Quinn123

Post by Rup.Quinn123 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:55 pm

shazdoggg wrote:
Rup.Quinn123 wrote:its quite annoying because theres bassically no ponds or lakes within a 15 killometre radius of me, i live in srrey hills so i might check out gardiners creek
Mate, your not looking hard enough! I live cpl suburbs from you and there are plenty of carp holes: Koonung creek which runs along the eastern freeway holds carp in certain holes. Its skinny water so the fish don't get much bigger than 2kg but what they lack in size they make up with in fight. Finesse fishing is crucial at this spot.

Haven't fish Ringwood lake but i rode past few weeks back and there were a number of fishos, presumably fishing for carp.

Blackburn lake also holds carp and really big ones at that, but there are no fishing signs around the place and plenty of 'do-gooder' walkers who will give you a piece of their mind if they see you fishing. 95% of them don't know that the only fish in the lake is carp but they won't let facts get in the way of a good witchhunt.

The yarra at in fairfield is my favourite cos of its easy access and super consistent fishing. The fish here get supersized pretty quick from all the bread the ducks miss. This spot is a popular duck feeding spot for those not familiar.

Thanks mate, do i go to Koonung creek reserve because there is a pond there or go to Koonung Koonung creek?

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 am

koonung creek(near boronia grove reserve). The creek fans out into a wide muddy shallowish pool which holds a few carp. Its not the easiest fish to place as the water is super shallow and the fish spook easily but very rewarding when you get on to them.

I almost forgot...Nice catch CC! :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Headed out today in what I thought would be ideal conditions for fishing - hot and humid. Unfortunately my expectations of a big haul were not met - I could only manage one tiny Carp from several hours fishing. I got a few tiny nibbles, but very few genuine bites. When it started raining briefly, I decided to go home, but it cleared up just as I was leaving. Because it was so hot and humid (and I thought a big Carp would just be around the corner) I decided to do a U-turn and head back to the lake for another 30 minutes. But it all proved in vain - no more Carp were forthcoming.

As I was laying on the bank almost fishless with that rubbery smell emanating from the Mobil oil refinery, I couldn't help but think how Gardner's Creek would have gone today...usually they go off in humid conditions.

I got home and turned on the TV to watch the cricket and saw about the last 2 overs of Steve Smith's innings...Wow! Maybe I should have headed home earlier.

P.S. I have included a "carp related historical excerpt" for deathray's viewing pleasure :P

+1

2016/17 Total: 11 (Cumulative Total: 1448)

Range Introduced into Australia in 1872, the carp did not have a significant impact until the so-called Boolara strain escaped into Lake Hawthorn near Mildura in 1964. Since then the carp has spread widely throughout the Murray-Darling drainage and coastal systems along the east coast and recently Tasmania. A recent report from the Peel-Harvey system near Mandurah Western Australia indicates that the spreads may not yet be complete. Introductions are likely to continue through escaped koi carp from farm dams or poorly designed garden ponds. Carp are also introduced by foolish but well intentioned people who release their pets into waterways when they grow too large or the family goes on holidays.

From the Australian Fish Guide by Frank Prokop, (2012), Australian Fishing Network, Unit 19-20, 52 Corporate Boulevard, Bayswater, Victoria, 3153, p.9
Attachments
IMG_5805.jpg

Return to “Other Species”