Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 pm

ChrisD wrote:Cornacarpio - an Aldi special......Kmart specials are what the cool kids use....not sure you're still cool with an Aldi special :tongue:
I'm still cool, I'm still cool! :oops:

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
ChrisD wrote:Cornacarpio - an Aldi special......Kmart specials are what the cool kids use....not sure you're still cool with an Aldi special :tongue:
I'm still cool, I'm still cool! :oops:
Ok if you say so ;-)

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 pm

I originally headed down to the Burwood section of the creek today, but unhappy with how the water was looking - dirty, discoloured and swollen from the recent rain we've had, I decided to jump on the treadly and venture further downstream to one of my Glen Iris haunts. There, things weren't much better. In fact, the water conditions were pretty much the same. I actually toyed with the idea of going straight home and not even throwing a line in, but as I had rode all this way, I thought I better at least give it a shot. Even though the water was filthy, I soon saw a bloody big Carp swimming through the water close to the edge of the bank. I had to recast my bait, and move a few yards along the bank to get into the 'Carp zone' but because the water was so dirty, despite putting it right on top of his head, he didn't even see it! Then I noticed a puff of dirt literally right at my feet that is characteristic of a roiling Carp. This time, the float didn't even have to touch the water before the Carp decided it was lunch time. On the end of the line was a nice little Carp, probably in the 50cm range. It didn't give much of a fight, but it was great to get one in such trying conditions. About 15-20 minutes into my fishing journey, it decided to rain. I tried to keep going through the precipitation, but feeling pretty pleased with myself for already catching one I decided to pack up all call it quits, cycling home in the rain (it would have been terrible cycling home and not getting anything, but this one Carp made it all worth it :) ). When I got home my washing on the line was still completely dry - such is the vagaries of Melbourne weather! About 20 or so minutes after I did get home, it really did decide to rain - I'm glad I missed it. Unfortunately the heavy deluge has put the creek out of action for me over the next couple of days, which is a pity because its going to be a good week weather wise next week.

:water:

+1

2017/18: 8

Cumulative Total: 1507

Australian fisheries authority T. C. Roughley credits the Geelong and Western District Fish Acclimatisation Society in Victoria with the dubious distinction of being first to introduce Cyprinus carpio, the European carp, to mainland Australia back in 1876.

Successful Fishing in Australia (1994), by Geoff Wilson, p.66
Attachments
23632018_10156033686175362_6120125364925806202_o.jpg
23592148_10156033717610362_7143477746795463443_o.jpg
23593566_10156033801325362_3293412794455597251_o.jpg
Here comes that rainy day feeling again...

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:I originally headed down to the Burwood section of the creek today, but unhappy with how the water was looking - dirty, discoloured and swollen from the recent rain we've had, I decided to jump on the treadly and venture further downstream to one of my Glen Iris haunts. There, things weren't much better. In fact, the water conditions were pretty much the same. I actually toyed with the idea of going straight home and not even throwing a line in, but as I had rode all this way, I thought I better at least give it a shot. Even though the water was filthy, I soon saw a bloody big Carp swimming through the water close to the edge of the bank. I had to recast my bait, and move a few yards along the bank to get into the 'Carp zone' but because the water was so dirty, despite putting it right on top of his head, he didn't even see it! Then I noticed a puff of dirt literally right at my feet that is characteristic of a roiling Carp. This time, the float didn't even have to touch the water before the Carp decided it was lunch time. On the end of the line was a nice little Carp, probably in the 50cm range. It didn't give much of a fight, but it was great to get one in such trying conditions. About 15-20 minutes into my fishing journey, it decided to rain. I tried to keep going through the precipitation, but feeling pretty pleased with myself for already catching one I decided to pack up all call it quits, cycling home in the rain (it would have been terrible cycling home and not getting anything, but this one Carp made it all worth it :) ). When I got home my washing on the line was still completely dry - such is the vagaries of Melbourne weather! About 20 or so minutes after I did get home, it really did decide to rain - I'm glad I missed it. Unfortunately the heavy deluge has put the creek out of action for me over the next couple of days, which is a pity because its going to be a good week weather wise next week.

+1

2017/18: 8

Cumulative Total: 1507

Australian fisheries authority T. C. Roughley credits the Geelong and Western District Fish Acclimatisation Society in Victoria with the dubious distinction of being first to introduce Cyprinus carpio, the European carp, to mainland Australia back in 1876.

I got to head out with you one day! I haven't caught a fish yet and the carps look fun!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Nice work CC :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:50 pm

With a distinct lack of 'still-water' around after the recent rain, I had no other option but to try the very murky Gardiner's Creek. As expected, it was very hard-going, but the water quality wasn't too bad, considering the amount of rain we had yesterday. My usual haunt didn't produce any bites or hook-ups, but it was encouraging to see that the Carp were still there. I moved around a bit, without much luck, before spotting a Carp where they love to be - in the most unfishable place ever - on the other side of the creek right under a overhanging branch. I guess the recent rain and the murkiness of the creek is a double-edged sword: good because the Carp don't spook as easily, bad because the Carp are harder to spot and have reduced visibility which takes them longer to find your bait. Anyway, after spotting this Carp I decided to go to the other side, where I had to go full-commando through dense urban scrub just to get a look in. I managed to get right up close to him without spooking him, due to the murkiness of the water. Because he was mooching right up top of the water column, even my tiny little float would have scared him off, so I decided to do away with it and get back to basics - just hook and line. It seemed to work. Despite poor visibility, the Carp soon took the bait, and soon had me wrapped around the above-head branch he was hiding under. But it wasn't too bad, I was able to un-snag him. A nice little specimen, once again in the 40- 50cm range, which I seem to be catching quite a lot this year. I tried a different spot after this and was getting little bites - probably either Goldfish or micro-Carp, but no hook-ups unfortunately.

In my experience, after the creek clears up after heavy rain, the fishing is usually very good, which is good news for the week ahead. Hopefully I can spare a few daylight hours to chase them.

+1

2017/18: 9 (CT: 1508)

However, minutes of the Ballarat Fish Acclimatisation Society for the year 1872 mention that carp were already available for cultivation. It is also understood carp were present in Tasmania before this time, but little or no information is available on when they were introduced.

Attachments
23759972_10156037316490362_1612090917_o (1).jpg
23736280_10156037219100362_4834124638854383464_o.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:38 pm

CC

I found records suggesting that carp were included in a shipment of Tench and goldfish to the Canberra region in 1870. The breeding stock appears to have arrived in Tasmania in 1858. Newspaper accounts record 'golden carp' weighing from 21 to 41 pounds being taken from ponds near Canberra in 1875. So it appears the first strain arrived in Tassie c1858 and got to Canberra c1870. The next strain originated from a shipment of goldfish to Sydney c1907. These were released into Prospect Reservoir and the Murrumbidgee River. The last strain were imported to Victoria in 1960 from Germany. They were released into Lake Hawthorn near the Mildura in 1964 and the rest is history.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Truedodz, my research also tends to back up what you are saying. From a previously quoted excerpt in this thread:

Australian Fish Guide by Frank Prokop, (2012), Australian Fishing Network, Unit 19-20, 52 Corporate Boulevard, Bayswater, Victoria, 3153, p.9:

Range: Introduced into Australia in 1872, the carp did not have a significant impact until the so-called Boolara strain escaped into Lake Hawthorn near Mildura in 1964. Since then the carp has spread widely throughout the Murray-Darling drainage and coastal systems along the east coast and recently Tasmania.

So, it seems Carp have been in our waterways for a very long time - c1870, but it wasn't until the Boolara strain was introduced in the 1960s that they really became a menace. My understanding is that most, if not all, the Carp today caught in Australia are descendent from the now infamous Boolara strain.

It will be interesting to see how this upcoming Carp virus goes. My understanding is that it will wipe out 93% of the current Carp population. But, so far to date, Australia doesn't have a great track record when it comes to biological control of pests and invasive species - think rabbits (myxomatosis/khaleesi virus), cane toads, redfin, foxes, etc. No biological control method has completely worked, and it's hard to see how the Carp virus will either. For it to have any chance at all it would have to be released into nearly every single waterway in Australia, both urban and rural - I'm not sure how feasible that is. In addition, there is the cost of the clean up and possible unforeseen or unexpected complications - like Carp developing a resistance to the disease, its possible effect on other fish and how the water ecosystem will cope with the sudden loss of a fish that currently makes up around 90% of its biomass. I don't really have a science background, just voicing some possible concerns. One thing I do know though, is that the eradication of Carp won't be done with a rod and reel - it will be done through science - if that is at all possible.

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:33 pm

Headed down to the creek tonight after work in the fading sunlight. Got the solitary Carp in what is becoming the standard Gardiner's Creek 'special'. I was getting quiet a few bites at one stage and perhaps a smidgen unlucky not to get at least one more, before it went completely quiet.

Great way to spend the twilight. I love daylight savings. I love the warm weather. And I love catching Carp!

+1

2017/18: 10 (1509)

There is some mystery as to why carp did not multiply to their present numbers until the 1960s. The most popularly accepted explanation is that the two strains introduced initially – one of European origin, the other Asian – did not exhibit the fecundity of a later strain.

Attachments
23632860_10156040205925362_2407413223026957826_o (1).jpg

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:15 pm

1 x Gardiner's Creek special.

Hard going tonight, you really have to 'ambush' the Carp and take them completely unaware. If they sense any movement or know someone's around they won't take the bait. Great night for it though.

Headed out last night but doughnutted. Had a few bites, but didn't take my chances!

+1

2017/18: 11 (1510)

New Strain Spread Uncontrolled

This later strain is thought to be either a cultured or hybridised strain, or even a third introduced strain. This particular strain of carp, which has spread so rapidly, appears to have come from Boolara in Gipsland in Victoria prior to 1961, where it was held on private property for a carp farming venture. The prospective carp farmer promoted carp as ideal for stocking farm dams and advertised that he had suitable fish available.

Attachments
23799973_10156045607730362_8442349450971801190_o.jpg

Return to “Other Species”