Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Headed out to Taylor's Lake last night for the now traditional Father/Son fish-off. Unlike previous years, the weather was a bit cooler, we had company (who else goes fishing on Christmas Day, seriously) and the fish were a little...slow. We had 4 rods in, using a variety of baits, including yabbies and corn, targeting a mixture of natives and vermin species - no guessing which particular species I was targeting :P

After approximately 3 hours we had approximately 0 bites. My Dad wandered over to the camp beside us to find that a couple from Beaufort - about 150m away, were catching every species known to man - Carp, cod, redfin and silver perch with regular monotony. After asking what bait they were using - worms - and then begging for some - I started catching a few tiny Carp, but nothing else was biting. After my Dad had broken the ice, they came over every single time they caught a fish (which was quite often) and showed us what they caught. The catch of the day was about a 35-40cm Silver Perch - taken on worms, which they had an almost religious devotion for 'the worms don't last long on the bottom here' they said, and in their case, it certainly was true.

The next day, when they abandoned their spot (but not the lake - they set out to fish new territory) thought it might be a good idea if I chuck a rod in near where they were fishing. We were down to yabbies and corn again at this stage, so I chucked a rod with a yabby on in. After only about 2-3 minutes, as I was wandering back to chuck another rod in, the rod bent over with much gusto. On the end of it was a nice little cod around the 50cm mark (and released to fight another day). 'We might be on here' I thought. After transferring all our rods over to old mate's spot we got nothing. Nip, nada, zilch.

Taylor's Lake on Chrissy Day this year, was a bit of a let down, but it was good to get a PB Cod, although a little disappointing for my Dad because it was just under the limit.

+ 6

2017/18: 24 (1523)

Easy to Catch

While we must agree in the face of overwhelming evidence that the introduction of European carp to Australia was, and is, an ongoing disaster, these fish have definitely provided a relatively large, edible and easily caught fish for anglers who may either lack the skills or the opportunity to catch either native fish or highly esteemed introduced species such as trout.

Successful Fishing in Australia (1994), by Geoff Wilson, p.67
Attachments
20171225_145011 (1).jpg
20171225_112552 (1).jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Nice work Cc.
Congrats on the pb cod :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Headed out to where it all began for me - the mighty Wimmera River. Got off to a great start - hooked into one virtually straight away (around 10 minutes) as did the mate I was with. A bit like another waterway I regularly fish - the Carp were everywhere, but a little gun-shy. We walked the parched banks from hole to hole, spotting plenty of Carp as we went, but none wanted to play ball. It was a great day weather wise, it was just a little unfortunate that the Carp weren't out and about - well, they were, but just a little reluctant to bite...

Looking to rectify that situation tomorrow though when we head to a location I have never been to before that is allegedly infested with Carp!

:water:

+1

2017/18: 25 (1524)

Wimmera River

The river has provided anglers with excellent fishing over the years and presently holds good stocks of redfin, tench, golden perch (yellowbelly), catfish and some Murray cod. European carp have been found in the in the lower reaches of the system in recent years and yabby fishing is also popular.

Fishing Wimmera Waters by Gary Knight (1989), Sportfish Australia Publications, Noorat, Vic, 3265, p.43
Attachments
26539898_10208892662393056_1755611007_o (1).jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Nice work as always and good luck tomorrow mate :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:34 pm

Headed to Rocklands Reservoir for the very first time today, which Wikipedia describes as "one of the premier carp fishing destinations". With expectations well and truly set (high), I set of with the mate I went fishing with yesterday to slay some Carp. We set off in the late afternoon (around 3-ish) and had a 90 minute drive ahead of us, and I was desperately concerned that we would not have enough time to get a decent session in. When we arrived the Wall area, I was slightly underwhelmed. The water didn't look too 'Carpy' - it was clear for starters, and being my first time, it was hard to ascertain where 'a good spot' was. There was also a distinct lack of carp laying on the shore - a telltale sign of a good Carp fishery. We chucked our rods in randomly and nothing much happened. I was starting to think the couple I met at Taylor's the other day were talking smack when they said "it doesn't matter where you go at Rocklands, the Carp are everywhere". I had pictured muddy banks and casting out to the tree lines in some narrow arm of the lake, with bites as soon as the corn hit the water, but instead I was faced with what seemed like a 'structureless' open body of water that reminded me of Lake Bellfield for some reason. After about 10 minutes I reeled in one of my rods to check the bait. As I was reeling my line in, I noticed a small school of Redfin trying to have a go at my corn. I called my mate over who switched to soft plastics instantly. I persisted with the old straight corn method and after a very quiet first 20 minutes or so, was rewarded - handsomely. After I caught my first one, the rod bent with much vim and gusto at regular intervals. Each and every Carp I caught in the clear-water lake certainly fought above its weight. The first bite I had I thought I had a 70cm monster on - but it probably only turned out to be around 40cm. I was glad a remembered to bring the rod-holders. Interestingly, I had 2 rods in, but 1 rod accounted for 8 of the 10 Carp I caught - not sure why - whether it was the lighter line or in that little bit better spot (bait was exactly the same). My mate chipped in with 2 Carp and a Redfin taken on a soft plastic.

Although we didn't 'bag out' or catch any monsters, it was a very enjoyable couple of hours on the watercourse (at one stage we saw 2 swimmers swim out in line with the buoys 3/4 across the lake and then turn around and swim back). I would love to know a 'secret spot' at Rocklands where the carp are on tap (it's a big lake and I only saw a tiny bit of it), but I guess the couple I met at Taylors' were right - it really doesn't matter where you go, there are Carp everywhere. We literally pulled up to the lake, and cast out line in at the closest available spot. When I first arrived, the lake didn't strike me as 'Carpy' - the water was too clear and it seemed very deep in spots, particularly near the wall. It looked more like a premier trout fishery than a carp fishery, and apparently its not a bad redfin spot either!

:water:

+10

2017/18: 35 (1534)

Rocklands Reservoir

Most Wimmera anglers find the most popular area of Rocklands Reservoir is Hynes’. I believe that the redfin fishing in Hynes’ area is equal, if not better, than anywhere in Australia. Bags of over 50 fish quite common and the majority and the majority of fish are from 500g to 1.4kg. I recently spent time camping and fishing at Hynes’ and found the redfin exciting angling. One morning’s fishing resulted in 12 redfin of which 10 were over the 1kg mark and this was followed the next morning by 38 redfin exceeding 500g in size.

Fishing Wimmera Waters by Gary Knight (1989), Sportfish Australia Publications, Noorat, Vic, 3265, p.12
Attachments
20180102_192951 (2).jpg
20180102_192750 (1).jpg
12/13 Rocklands Rodents!
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:48 am

Nice work cc :thumbsup:

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 pm

Top notch cc!
I liked the style of those old school pocket guides to waters.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:19 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 pm

deathray wrote:Top notch cc!
I liked the style of those old school pocket guides to waters.
I've just located the third edition of Fishing Wimmera Waters, published in 1997, and there is a lot more mention of Carp than the first edition, particularly around the Wimmera River and Taylor's Lake.

Good for Carp enthusiasts like myself, but perhaps not so good for the waterways and the environment.
Attachments
FWW.jpg

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:56 pm

Always enjoy your posts - each one feels like a little adventure

:thumbsup:

Return to “Other Species”