-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Part Timer
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Part Timer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:29 am

Great fish!

Hope you don't mind me posting a photo here, but thought I would as it is also GC. We used to fish GC a few years ago, though I don't think they were as big back then.... The biggest we landed was this one, which would have been maybe 60-65ish? But most were around the 30cm mark... At the time it was the biggest carp I'd seen, and aptly named "the general"
Attachments
image.jpg

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Just one from today (so far). Lost one of a similar size as well, just as it was going into the net. Went down last night and lost another one as well...not having a good run, so I was very relieved when I eventually managed to land this one.

I also bought a rolling pin to use as a priest to dispatch the catch as humanely as possible. Works a lot better than throwing my pliers at them repeatedly, finding a suitable sized rock or trying to spike them with a knife (their heads are really boney/hard)...

CARP TOLL - 38
Attachments
DSC00635.JPG
DSC00635.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:25 pm

nice work you seem to know how to catch them in there. as for dispatching of them try a flat blade screw driver to spike them with this is generally what i do if I intend on keeping/killing anything.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Headed down for a sneaky twilight session after the small one in the morning whetted my appetite for more! :bounce: .The weather looked threatening, and that was part of my motivation also, to get a fish in before the rain comes and renders the creek muddy and un-fishable. It seems the gloomy conditions also kept the dog walkers to a minimum, which I like...

There were some young whippersnappers (none of which are forum members according to my enquiry) next to my swim who had just landed a Carp on bread shortly after I arrived. Good sign! But things were pretty slow after that. I was about to leave when I saw my rod twitch and then BANG! A 55cm Carp that went like the clappers. I seriously thought I had a bonefish on or something, the thing went nuts. Didn't have to wait long for the next one, and the next one...and the next one (OK, I had to wait a little bit, bit you know what I mean, when you've been sitting on the bank all day without a bite and then you get one and decide to stay just a little bit longer...).
mazman wrote:nice work you seem to know how to catch them in there. as for dispatching of them try a flat blade screw driver to spike them with this is generally what i do if I intend on keeping/killing anything.
The creeks a bit hit and miss, as today showed - only 1 in the morning but got 4 in the afternoon. It's only because I live so close I give it a real good go, but yeah, I've 'sussed it out' so to speak. I tried the old screwdriver for a bit but found their heads really hard to penetrate, also locating the exact location of their brain when using a screwdriver is a bit difficult. I'm happy with the rolling pin :bat: :) Does the job quickly and effortlessly. I was slightly disappointed no passers by saw my perfectly executed Carp, as opposed to the mutilated/half alive ones when I try to perform Iki-jimi with a screwdriver and/or knife.
Fishman2012 wrote:Hope you don't mind me posting a photo here, but thought I would as it is also GC. We used to fish GC a few years ago, though I don't think they were as big back then.... The biggest we landed was this one, which would have been maybe 60-65ish? But most were around the 30cm mark... At the time it was the biggest carp I'd seen, and aptly named "the general"
Certainly don't mind Cobber, thanks for your input. The more contributions the better :thumbsup: I keep hearing about these 'really big' Carp everyone keeps seeing in GC. My Dad's girlfriend who used to live in Glen Iris tells me she's seen dead Carp washed up 'with head's the size of bicycle helmets'. I guess 'big Carp' is a relative term (for me, 70cm+). I did, however, see one that would have gone 12-15lb and in the >70cm range in the exact location of your photo. It managed to sniff my bait, but nothing more...

CARP TOLL - 42
Attachments
DSC00642.JPG
DSC00643.JPG
DSC00650.JPG
DSC00650.jpg
DSC00642.jpg
DSC00643.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:02 am

Think im going to go down to gc for a session this morning and keep pretending i dont have to do christmas shopping some more

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:11 am

Hhhmmm just checked the radar this could not doubt be another wasted rainy trip to the gc

biggar

Post by biggar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:21 am

I'm going to apl, hoping it doesn't rain too mate!
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:59 am

Headed down to the creek this morning for a sneaky little fish. Was informed by a dog-walker that fishing is illegal in the creek 'because Carp are bottom feeders and actually clean the creek'. Surely it is legal to fish in GC? Although with fishing being banned in pretty much every urban waterway in Melbourne it wouldn't surprise me if it was illegal. Not seeing any 'no fishing' signs is good enough for me to dangle a line...it just annoys me a bit when people who clearly don't know what they're talking feel the need to tell you what you can and can't do :-x :

I'm looking forward to heading out west sometime in the new year and slaying Carp in peace and quiet.

I got one just over 50cm shortly after my 'run-in' with the dog-walker. I've also included a photo of my humble garden bed (it only holds 3 Carp). Nothing flash, but hopefully it will do the job...might have to invest in another one.

CARP TOLL - 43
Attachments
DSC00658.JPG
DSC00655.JPG
DSC00658.jpg
DSC00655.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Species”