Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm

sloth wrote:Nice... GC again? How much do you have to move around to find these or do you just bait up and wait for them to find you?
GC unless otherwise stated. I find the fish. I'm on bike (which makes carrying a landing net very annoying) and often do 3 or so laps of the creek in one 'session' going from spot to spot. I rarely spend more than 15mins in the one spot if I'm not getting a bite. I basically sight fish for them and very rarely catch a fish 'blind', i.e. by waiting for them to find me.
Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run.

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Had a productive morning down at the creek today. With all the cloud cover about I thought it was going to rain, so thought I better get a fish in before the water becomes too muddy again. I didn't have to wait long before I got the smallest one. Then I hooked the 65/66cm one - the 70cm barrier continues to elude me, but I hope it's only a matter of time before I break it. It pulled like the proverbial steam train. I actually landed it a good 100m from where I hooked it as it shot off around a bend and got the line tangled in every single tree and shrub on the bank along the way. It certainly got the adrenaline pumping and my heart was racing, as I was praying it wouldn't get off. The reel was absolutely smoking. I dare say it would go 10lb (or thereabouts) and I caught it on 6lb line, so I am quite proud of that. I was actually slightly disappointed with it's size when I got it in, as it felt like it would be at least as twice as big! (or a PB 70cm at least!). The other ones, while not as big, also fought like nuts, had the reel zinging and put up a great fight.

Oh, and space in the garden is becoming a real problem now...

Anyway, it was a good morning and I got back home in time to watch the cricket :)

CARP TOLL - 29
Attachments
DSC00605.JPG
DSC00600.JPG
DSC00599.JPG
DSC00605.jpg
DSC00600.jpg
DSC00599.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Those big fish keep coming,hopefully you crack the 70cm mark soon

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Jeez mate how many carp are in there :O
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 pm

GTSHoon wrote:Jeez mate how many carp are in there :O
Just keeping track of the one's that aren't in there ;)

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:54 pm

It's not that big a creek - really just a fancy drain - but it seems to just keep producing carp in numbers

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Couple of nice fatties in that awesome foursome. Your gardens going to be a ripper !

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Do u fish the top end near the lawn bowls club or further down?? Ive never gone past the 2nd set of rocks (waterfall) but walkers have told me they see big ones swimming down lower and it tends to dry right out in summer down lower

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:30 pm

bigwatkins wrote:Do u fish the top end near the lawn bowls club or further down?? Ive never gone past the 2nd set of rocks (waterfall) but walkers have told me they see big ones swimming down lower and it tends to dry right out in summer down lower
I fish all the way through to Burwood Hwy pretty much, going from hole to hole. There's heaps in the 'dog pool' (where everyone's dog swims) trouble is having the spot to yourself for 5mins while there are no dogs or people around. I have even caught the odd one while the dog pool was 'occupied' :crazy:

I snuck back down again tonight, but no cigar...

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:14 pm

I went down to the creek, or what some would call - a drain - yesterday, without a fish or a single bite. It was a time of great introspection, as I wondered whether I had the lost the knack of Carp-calling which I so pride myself on. I wondered if I still had what it takes to rid these pests from out waterways...

Today, I set out in the heat to turn things around, which I did, recording a personal best haul of 8 (from GC). At one point it seemed I would eclipse Fish-Cador's record (19 I believe), but just as quickly as they came on the bite, they stopped...(also, with my ultra light set-up you could say I spend an inordinate amount of time reeling them in, which tends to spook the other carp in the swim).

Nevertheless, it was bliss, the heat kept the joggers and dog-walkers away, so I had the creek (drain) to myself for the best part of the evening. It was just a good day to be alive. Hot, humid and smashing Carp. For me, things don't get much better. I opened my account with an interesting looking mirror carp and catch of the day, whilst not huge, was a 60cm specimen that put up one hell of fight, as did they all...I'm pretty sure I may have to buy a new reel soon, as they all gave it a good working over :r

As night fell I ran into one dog-walker who lamented 'I quite like watching them swimming around' :doh1: upon seeing all the dead Carp piled up on the bank. I had to bite my tongue while reminding myself that the non-fishing populace are generally quite ignorant of the damage these species do to the environment...

On my way home I ran into 'old mate' (not a forum member, who I once mistook for 'Time-Poor') who has been fishing the creek on a daily basis since he saw me and my 'Indian mate' pull a few out of there. He hasn't had much (read: any) success so I pointed him in the general (specific) direction of my swim after he inevitably asked where I got them. I think I know where he's going to be parked for the next week or so...

But anyway, I had a good time tonight and challenge anyone who says they don't like fishing for Carp! They are great fun on ANY gear!

:reel:

CARP TOLL - 37
Attachments
DSC00619.JPG
DSC00620.JPG
DSC00626.JPG
DSC00630.JPG
DSC00626.jpg
DSC00619.jpg
DSC00620.jpg
DSC00630.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Species”