Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
alexcarrillo

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by alexcarrillo » Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
marckyg123 wrote:Is there a lot of goldies in CL??
What is CL?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 pm

alexcarrillo wrote:
Cornacarpio wrote:
marckyg123 wrote:Is there a lot of goldies in CL??
What is CL?
I think he means cherry lake mate :P

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Mon May 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Man! I went to the warmies a week or two ago with my mates and we caught a just on size PINKY. It was glorious and we wished you were there physically and mentally to witness greatness happen. Maybe one day we can go together like two peas in a pod or a ship of fishermen and only a tadpole in the water.

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue May 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Keep it going mate. Unfortunately I've packed up the rods and will go into hibernation mode during the winter (like a big Carp). I will start heading out again when winter passes!

bilby

Post by bilby » Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Well that's just silly.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed May 03, 2017 9:40 am

Cornacarpio wrote: Unfortunately I've packed up the rods and will go into hibernation mode during the winter (like a big Carp). I will start heading out again when winter passes!
Same here - rods and I are having our Winter rest now.....will let the young and silly, brave the cold and wet for the occasional fish :)

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm

The 2017/18 carp account is now officially (and finally) open!

On this glorious day I decided to head down to the creek, as I wasn't too tired from the night before, unlike yesterday (from work, not froffies). I have had a few previous failed attempts this last week or two and had nothing but stale bread in my bag for bait. Nevertheless, the signs were good. I tried an old haunt of mine in the Glen Iris area. After initially spotting no Carp at all, I just had to traverse a few metres to sight a huge school of them. I chucked on the bread and was getting bites more or less straight away. The trouble with using stale bread is that is easily comes off the hook and every time I got a bite, no matter how small, the bread was gone, which would lead me to rebating again. But persistence pays, it was only a matter of time before a Carp took my bait hook, line and float. It put up a tremendous fight, as most creek carp do and got me snagged around a rock at one stage. I was very close to breaking the line before it graciously decided to un-snag itself. But even then, it didn't really want to come in. My drag was a bit rusty after the previous summer in the salt and I came hopelessly unprepared - no landing net and no brag mat, but eventually I won out. The first Carp of the summer had been landed. I don't think the photo quite does it justice, it was a heavy and powerful specimen - I estimate in the 8lb-10lb range and probably in the 60s cm wise. It was a great feeling getting the first one in. Even though I've caught hundreds (er, thousands :P ) of Carp before I was shaking when I got this one in. Like I said, I've had a few previous unsuccessful trips in the past week or two and it felt good to nail the first one. The creek can be a tricky locale to fish, but it can also be very rewarding one.

P.S. I have moved back to the Gardiner's Creek catchment area (GCCA) and the creek is now my 'local' again :)

+1

2017/18: 1 (Cumulative total: 1,500)

2013/14: 778 (Nov-April) 778
2014/15: 588 (Sep-March) 1366
2015/16: 70 (Sep-March) 1436
2016/17: 64 (Sep-Feb) 1499

Numbers are approximate, but fairly accurate - may have added and or lost a Carp or two over the journey.

Gardiner's Creek
The journey of Gardiner’s creek begins deep in the eastern suburbs. Flowing through Blackburn lake and then south-west through Burwood it then follows the path of the Monash Freeway, winding its way through parks and reserves, …golf courses, until it flows into the Yarra River at a bend near Scotch College in Hawthorn. John Gardiner established a property at this bend in Hawthorn in the 1830s. Undulating hills and heavily timbered forests gave way to swamps and open grasslands suitable for grazing.

Whitehorse Heritage Trail – signpost on the northern bank of Gardiner’s Creek near Burwood Hwy in Burwood.
Attachments
IMG_5991_50.jpg
First Carp of the season!
IMG_5994.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Nice work CC!
Finally out of hibernation :thumbsup:

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Nice one mate. Ever tried throwing some lures at these guys? I am just up the road from GC and been thinking about getting in some practice!

skeets
Has liked: 2 times

Post by skeets » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Inspiring
I went down diamond creek on Sunday from eltham to Yarra. No visible carp in any of the old haunts or new. Just plenty of tigers and browns. Looks like I have to travel.

Return to “Other Species”