Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by 4liters » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Then pour upon your carp as much claret wine as will only cover him, and season your claret well with salt, cloves, and mace, and the rinds of oranges and lemons; that done, cover your pot and set it on a quick fire till it be sufficiently boiled; then take out the carp and lay it with the broth onto the dish; and pour upon it a quarter of a pound of the best fresh butter, melted and beaten with half a dozen spoonfuls of the broth, the yokes of two or three eggs, and some of the herbs shred; garnish your dish with lemons, and so serve it up, and much good do you.

From The Compleat Angler (1996 edn), p.201
This sounds like it would be pretty tasty with anything other than carp
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fishomicko

Post by Fishomicko » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:35 pm

Good thread cc took me ages to read it you got some good catches there I did notice towards the end of the thread u don't have as many carp piles maybe your starting to put a dint in there population :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:29 am

Fishomicko wrote:Good thread cc took me ages to read it you got some good catches there I did notice towards the end of the thread u don't have as many carp piles maybe your starting to put a dint in there population :thumbsup:
He is doing a good job that's for sure :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:03 pm

There's a couple of reasons for my decline in numbers:

1) The drainage of TNA, which accounted for a lot of my 'mega hauls', and perhaps artificially inflated my carp numbers

2) I don't have as much spare time as I used to, and as a consequence I don't get out for a fish nearly as much as I'd like...

The reason I started 'totalling' the number of Carp I have caught is to show just how prolific they are. As flattering as it is to suggest I have put a dent in their numbers, the reality is I have made no impact. Even if I make a temporary impact, say in TNA, in only takes one big fat Carp to drop a belly full of eggs and the process starts all over again. The only real way to reduce the number of carp is through science - not a rod and reel - such as this new carp virus which has purportedly been trialled.

Anyway, thanks for reading my thread. I try to make it both informing and entertaining ;-)

Keenfisho

Post by Keenfisho » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Like this one cc
image.jpeg
Caught in the Nicholson river a few weeks ago. We didn't measure it as we didn't want it stinking out the boat. Was a monster. Taking on a plastic with 3lb braid 4lb leader

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:27 pm

Keenfisho wrote:Like this one cc
image.jpeg
Caught in the Nicholson river a few weeks ago. We didn't measure it as we didn't want it stinking out the boat. Was a monster. Taking on a plastic with 3lb braid 4lb leader
That's a stonker mate :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Cornacarpio has moved west side (the west side is the best side, or so I am told).

I began my first westside fishing adventure yesterday at Cherry Lake (Altona) in picture perfect conditions. I was getting bites straight away, but couldn't manage to hook anything. Just about every time I decided to leave I would get a really good bite and end up staying for 'just 10 more minutes'. I managed to hook two and lost a 1/2 pounder right on the bank...but failed to land a single one. I didn't know whether to be disappointed or encouraged when I left - encouraged because I was getting bites and should have caught two fish or disappointed because I didn't catch any.

Today I was determined to make amends and headed back out to the exact same spot I was yesterday. It was a few degrees warmer than the day before, but unfortunately it was blowing a gale and made it difficult to determine if I was getting bites or not. I didn't have to wait long before my rod bent over with gusto. On the end of it was a nice little carp of around 40cm, and unlike yesterday, I managed to successfully bring this one to shore. Just like yesterday as well, when I decided to leave I got another really good bite. On the end of this was something a little more substantial - a very pallid looking carp pushing the 60cm mark.

I was very happy getting two today after doughnutting yesterday on debut at Cherry Lake. And with that I'm declaring the 2016/17 carp season officially open!

+2

2016/17 Total: 2 (Cumulative Total: 1438)
Attachments
20160906_152234.jpg
Picture perfect conditions yesterday - but no fish!
20160907_155030.jpg
First carp of the day
IMG_5795.jpg
20160907_162004.jpg
20160907_162106.jpg
20160907_164525.jpg
Full 'o eggs
20160907_161843.jpg
2 carpios for the day
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Nice work mate :thumbsup:

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:44 pm

Great report mate & good to see another couple of mudsuckers gone. :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:51 pm

Love your work CC, cheers davo :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Other Species”