Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Owen3838438

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Owen3838438 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:Headed out to the Glen Iris section of the creek in picture-perfect conditions today - not too hot, not too cold and barely a cloud in the sky. Despite the propitious conditions, the Carp didn't seem to want to co-operate - until I threw about half a loaf of mouldy bread into the water from my last trip. Ironically, it was in a different section to where I chucked the bread when my float submerged. What ensured was a great tussle between Carp and man, with man ultimately winning (just). He had me snagged within about 10 seconds, and I had to cross the creek to unsnag him, as the line was caught on a submerged branch. It was during this time that I not only got a look at the fish (it was quite big), but noticed my line was quite frayed. "There is no way I'm going to land him" I thought to myself in a mild panic, so I backed off the drag. Every time I was about to net him, he'd thrust his head away and go for another run. I was just waiting for the line to snap. I finally got my chance, but it was no easy task - his head barely fit in my butterfly net and he nearly pulled me into the water when I tried to pull him out :fish11:

When I got him out safely out of the water to pose for a few 'glory snaps' I was pleasantly surprised by how 'big' he was. I haven't caught one this size for a while, and couldn't but help wonder if he would crack the 'magical' 70cm mark. I'm not sure what I've done with my brag-mat/s, but I wish I had one on this particular occasion. This all happened in front of an incredulous cyclist by the way.

When I returned to the other side of the bank, my other rod was pointing towards the water with the line fully taut. I found it with the bail arm open (I didn't leave it that way) and nothing - not even a hook - on the end of my line. Guess I was lucky I didn't lose my rod, but unlucky that I didn't catch whatever was on the end of it.

I had bites and several (2) hook-ups throughout the day, but was only able to land the one. It was a very challenging - but ultimately very rewarding - day's fishing, and a perfect way to spend a day-off.

:water:

+1

2017/18: 14 (1513)

Culture of carp ceased at Boolara in 1962 after the Victorian Government enacted legislation which gave the Fisheries and Wildlife Department authority to regulate possession, handling and release of fish. However, by the time carp culture ceased at Boolara, many thousands of carp had been sold to farmers throughout the State. Many of these found their way into local rivers and lakes (pp.66-67).

Successful Fishing in Australia (1994), by Geoff Wilson, p.66-67
Is it in Gardiners Creek closed to Glen iris?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:1 X micro mini carpio

+1

2017/18: 88 (1587)
Smallest one ive ever seen

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:After feeling particularly lazy today and watching at least 2 movies on the couch, I forced myself to go outside and get some fresh air (in my defence, it was threatening to rain all day and a chance of thunderstorms - and I was tired). And what better way to get some fresh air to go fishing. I went to a spot where there is always carp, but not always on the bite. Today proved to be no different. I could literally see them swimming around and snubbing my bait - going right up to it, nosing it, then doing a U-bolt, often flicking the hook with their tail which would make the float move. Nothing I did seemed to entice them. My bread was pretty stale from when I last bought it and tossed most of it in as burley, hoping to excite a 'strike'. It did not work. There was bread on top of the water and bread on the bottom. The carp seemed to avoid it at all costs.

When I was down to my last usable piece of bread, I dropped it right down on teh margin of the bank to where I knew they were, even though I was blind sided due to some excessive overgrowth on the bank. After a minute or two my float twitched and I struck right away. Finally a hook-up. Gave me a real good run for my money, which is standard for the creek. It tried getting me snagged on a submerged log and then in an overhanging tree. Thankfully I won both battles and was finally able to net it. Would have gone close to 60cm and was probably one of the smaller models I saw, but I was just happy I got something. Sometimes persistence pays.

+1

2017/18: 90 (1589)

Miscellaneous Hints
Keep your shadow off the water, and render yourself as inconspicuous as possible at all times. Avoid clumping heavily around the banks. Although fish cannot hear, they are sensitive to vibration. Avoid white or other conspicuous attire – this applies particularly to trout fishing.

Concise Handbook of Australian Fishing (1947) by “Taggerty”, National Handbook No.19, Robertson & Mullens Limited, Melbourne, p.85

Definitely a fat one

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:47 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:I've been having a torrid time down at the creek of late. Yesterday was a case in point. I actually managed to tempt two carp to take my bait! But thats about all they did. The first one snagged itself on a log and the second went absolutely nuts, wish I had a GoPro or some other recording device. The reel was absolutely zinging and the carp went on two massive runs before ejecting the hook from its mouth. They were both fairly decent fish as well, in my estimate probably over 60cm each. Leaving the creek fishless - after two hook-ups, kind of left me in a bad mood as I pondered what might have been.

I was feeling a little dejected today, and after trying the creek for about 15 minutes and 'not feeling it' I decided to head off to one of my new-found spots, where I knew I would catch something, even if it would only be small. Well, I didn't have to wait long before I caught my first carp, which probably turned out to be the biggest for the day. As soon as my float hit the water, it was getting smashed by micro carp. I couldn't actually keep up with 2 rods, so I just put 1 in before getting into a 'rhythm'. Float bobbles, give it a second, then strike. Repeat x55. It was constant.

Part of the reason I started this thread and record my carp catches is to highlight how fecund and prolific they really are. This is only a small waterway and is absolutely infested - as is every waterway that holds carp. It may not look like it, but there's over 50 carp in the pic below. I don't care that they're small, I just like catching them. It's hard to imagine that every 70cm carp was once this size. And it's hard to imagine how many of them there actually are in any given waterway.

:water:

+55

2017/18: 145 (1644)
Size doesnt matter as long as you have fun

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 09, 2018 11:53 pm

That’s it mate :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 09, 2018 11:56 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Cornacarpio wrote:1 X micro mini carpio

+1

2017/18: 88 (1587)
Smallest one ive ever seen
X2

jay_thorn_

Post by jay_thorn_ » Mon May 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Hey guys, looking to fish gardiners creek around the east mavlern/glen iris area using corn and worms, any tips for this time of year? Never caught a carp btw so i'm keen to listen to all of you.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed May 23, 2018 1:11 pm

jay_thorn_ wrote:Hey guys, looking to fish gardiners creek around the east mavlern/glen iris area using corn and worms, any tips for this time of year? Never caught a carp btw so i'm keen to listen to all of you.
Mate I'm no expert on carp, but, seeing there's no other answer, I'll try.
Colder water means less activity by carp
In warmer weather you can sight the fish & cast at it.
This time of year, probably small running sinker, any hook as they have no teeth
Fishing on the bottom means they'll get you into the snags quicker
Your choice of bait is fine, with worms you could get an eel or reddie as by-catch
Others such as CC (his thread) have much more knowledge than me
Give it a go
Cheers Gra

Danny2001

Post by Danny2001 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:04 pm

Big winter carp from Gardiners Creek today. Mud marlin gave me a 15 min fight tryna to land the mofo
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_7d-1.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Nice one mate.
Good stuff :thumbsup:

Return to “Other Species”