Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:31 pm

I seriously can't believe the size of the Carp that come out of that place - and on a consistent basis too. Headed out there one day but didn't get a touch.
Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:36 pm

bigwatkins wrote:These are my best got in a session at coburg

wow that's a fat carp!

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Cornacarpio wrote: kind of left with a bitter taste in my mouth, wondering about what might have been...

CARP TOLL - 44
You're screwed now, pretty soon you aren't going to be so fussed with the number of fish caught, only the number of cm the fish you catch is. Ya gotta gear up for the worst case scenario because THAT'S the fish you want to land. Some of the big ones are lazy and come in easy and you think "I coulda done that on 4 lb braid". But it's the big one that goes off it's nut that is gunna cut you up inside when you loose the sucker !

As you can tell I'm a little crazed by the buggers, it gets personal. Wait till you get a yak and they start spinning you through 360 deg :crazy:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:35 pm

We'll, I'm on the record as saying I want to break the 70cm barrier...I just hope it doesn't take me 300 Carp to do it! 70cm just seems to be a number that I can't seem to crack (I know you and others on here regularly get them that size, but I can't just can't seem to do it) and the tipping point for what I would call a 'big Carp'.

I vividly remember all the 'big Carp' I have lost. The first was when I was 12 or so fishing in the Wimmera River and my float was pushed up close to the reeds on the bank. My corn/worm concoction was only about 30cm under the float and next think I know I saw this huge golden rubbery mouth inhale the bait, I swear I could have stuffed a 1.25L Coke bottle in its mouth...I quickly grabbed the cheap telescopic rod I was using at the time - bird nest>snap>line break in all of about 2 seconds. It was just so powerful. I went back everyday to try and see my float bobbing around and try and catch it, but never came close to seeing or landing anything like it. Another time I was up at Taylor's Lake near Horsham a couple of years ago, using 2 dead minnows as bait, when a huge fish (in the vicinity of 20lb I believe) grabbed my line. I thought it must have been a Murray Cod, but as it came in closer it showed me its huge massive black head...I was close to landing it when my knot came undone and it swam off (a regular occurrence in my angling adventures). I remember the 'fight' it gave. It was so big and powerful I could barely control it, it was as if it was swimming around completely oblivious to the fact that it was actually hooked. The other time was...yesterday. I'm still feeling pretty cut up about it, and as my angling experience tells me, I might not get another shot at a 'big-one' for a very long time :cry: (So yeah, debating where to invest in a heavier set up that specifically targets bigger Carp or just continue to use the current 6lb mono set-up and hope for the best when a big one eventually does come along...)
wokka1 wrote:As you can tell I'm a little crazed by the buggers, it gets personal. Wait till you get a yak and they start spinning you through 360 deg :crazy:

Sounds as though you have a pretty good set up where you are, with 'big Carp' a dime a dozen and the equipment to access (and tame) them. I've done some Trout fishing in a mate's yak. Was great to actually get out there to where the fish are and bag a few. Not sure how an Obi-Wan Kenobi would go in Gardner's Creek though ;)

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Maybe try other spots? It's possible that there isn't many 'big carp' in gardeners creek? I know that there are some massive carp in Rowville lakes. Saw a 15kg, around 1metre long carp landed there 2 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Gardner's Creek is the 'creek of convenience' for me, as I live so close and will continue to 'flog' it. Agree that there may not be many 'big Carp' in there, but there is enough of them to keep me occupied, and that is preventing me from exploring other places and perhaps hooking a bigger specimen. Would love to get in on some of the Carp culling at Coburg at some point. Caribbean Gardens is also on my 'to-do' list...

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:, with 'big Carp' a dime a dozen
The conditions must suit them, permanent water, plenty of it and abundant food and cover. Not a dime a dozen but I've fished it maybe 8 or 9 times in the last 12 months (plenty of donut days) but I can't recall landing anything under 50 and I reckon something like 1 in 5 are better than 70. There is also fairly limited bank access and while others certainly fish it both from Yaks and bank it doesn't get huge pressure.

Here's the vid of the 80, this was on the 10 lb braid outfit, I got lucky. It was a red letter day as I landed a 70, 74 and the 80 in the 1 arvo.
[youtube]XVHJD5-QTi8[/youtube]

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Cornacarpio wrote: there may not be many 'big Carp' in there,
IMHO it's probably not so much that there are not many bigguns, more that there are a lot of smaller fish getting to your bait / lure first. If there is permanent water with reasonable depth and cover there will be plenty of big fish. Foxes, rabbits, rodents all thrive in the urban environment for a reason...our rubbish. Carp are probably enjoying a similar bounty in the creeks either directly or indirectly because the rubbish is supporting a lot of their food species.

The guy that started the thread over on Bream masters gets big fish in small creeks by waiting for the fish he wants to seperate itself from the pack before he casts to it. Get yourself some camo and a ninja mask and get stuck in. :) And maybe some throwing stars for the dog walking whingers.

i might give Taylors a crack next time I'm home, as long as the waterskiers aren't an issue this time of year.

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Just one small one from today (no heavy artillery needed). Carp have been a bit scarce of late, in my experience anyway.

CARP TOLL - 45
Attachments
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Only 1 hookup in last 3 trips on the Maribyrnong. I think it's time to pay closer attention to the barometer.

Return to “Other Species”