Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Master-pro

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Master-pro » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:36 pm

The person that said the statement about carp cleaning the creek has wrong information, carp destroy the creeks. I don't think is illegal to fish that creek too. Well done on your carp toll!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Was that an old women with a dog she says not to touch?? She had told me before and said that red fin are an endangered species i think she has a few screws loose

I changed my mind and went to williamstown got 4 undersized pinkies and a mullet

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:36 pm

She was oldish - maybe in her 40's. Had two Labradors I think. Came up with all sorts of rippers like 'it is illegal to fish any tributary of the Yarra with Carp in it' and just went up this huge anti-fishing diatribe.
Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run.

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Think thats a different women to the one i had but there are a few around there. I had one have a go at me because i said i dont eat the fish

biggar

Post by biggar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Crazy old hags
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Headed down the creek today, as per usual. So many dogs and people around so decided to try a new spot, as I didn't feel like getting heckled again by the ever so numerous dog-walkers and anti-fishos. Landed a solid 60cm Carp that would go 10lb easy I reckon. The photo below doesn't really do it justice, it had some serious girth to it. Anyway, it was game-on.

Got another bite again shortly after. Thing pulled like a train and got me snagged! It was snagged on the reeds on the other side so I actually threw my rod over (with the drag set very loosely) to the other side and then walked (sprinted) around :bolt: . Thing was still snagged. I tried using my landing net to de-snag it. My line was caught on a yabby pot! (in GC!?, WTF?). Then it got snagged on a submerged stick/log. Again used my landing net to locate it and eventually pull the snag up. Off the fish goes again, the thing had some serious weight to it. Under and through the reeds this time. I started pulling them up one by one and even trying to net it while it was snagged, but as I couldn't see it it was a hard task. This went on for a good 20mins. I think I eventually located the reed it was snagged on, but it turned out to be one too many, it got off with the hook still in its mouth. I didn't actually see it, it was by far the biggest one I have hooked in the creek and dare say it would have broken the magical 70cm barrier. Of course, this is just conjecture, as I do use light gear which makes it hard to judge the size of the fish (as I've repeatedly related in this thread, I sometime hook so-called 'monsters' to only find they are 50cm). I think this is part of the problem, I only use 6lb pound line, which is fine for a lake or somewhere with no snags, but as soon as a largish Carp takes me into a snag or swims around some reeds, it's all over for me :( . I kind of left with a bitter taste in my mouth, wondering about what might have been...

CARP TOLL - 44
Attachments
DSC00661.JPG
DSC00661.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

biggar

Post by biggar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Mate 6 pound line should be fine, I had 4 pound line on my old reel and that went fine
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Even when they run into the snags? I always thought 6lb would be fine, but now I have my doubts. Thinking 8-10lb now for 'insurance purposes'.

As an aside, I have my eye on the 6ft (might be 6'6) Penn Legion rod up at K-Mart for $79. Would love to load it up with 4 or 6lb line and use it on the Carp...and prepare for more heart break :snap:
Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:Even when they run into the snags? I always thought 6lb would be fine, but now I have my doubts. Thinking 8-10lb now for 'insurance purposes'.
.................................................................................................................................................................
I have used 4lb mono on carp with success - in the shallows of Waranga Basin where there are no snags. Eventually a large fish will die of old age or something and then you can retrieve it! :-D In the rivers here it is a different scenario. I do not use 4 lb mono and like to use braid - up to 10 lb! I know this reduces the 'sport' however, I do not like giving them a chance! Skull dragging them out of snaggy water works for me!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:13 pm

These are my best got in a session at coburg

Return to “Other Species”