Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Got this Mirror after a fairly luckless weekend.

Headed to my 'go-to'- again (all be it on the 'opposite' side I usually fish) , but forgot my polarised sunnies, which may have been a blessing in disguise, as I can get a bit inpatient when I see Carp approaching, but not taking, my bait. This time, I didn't have that problem - just chucked the line in and hoped for the best. Got him pretty much straight away (within 5 minutes), but as is usually the case, I think I scared off all the Carp in the swim after capture. The fight was fairly tame by creek-carp standards, but I'm not complaining, at least I got something! Went about 68cm. Not exactly a trophy fish, but not too shabby either. Think I might have to find another spot this summer to up the ante!

+1

2019/20: 7 (1718)
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
74479512_745723282574885_2371510267440791552_n.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Another nice one there mate.
Well done.
Cheers :tu:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:59 pm

Day off work and the sun was out. Drastic times call for drastic measures. I wanted to try somewhere different, so I continued peddling west along the creek, then the Yarra (which I overlooked), then through the tan to a little lake called 'Albert'. Now I've heard Albert is home to trophy-winning Carp of well over 1m who snatch anything off the surface and can be caught with relative ease by just sight-casting from the shore. Last time I was at Albert Park Lake was 8:00am on a Saturday in 2014 when I was an avid Parkrunner, burning around the course in an astonishing 19 minutes (give or take 6 seconds). Now, thanks to an acquired soft tissue injury in my posterior called bursitis, I'm lucky if I can ride around the lake in that time. And things didn't get off to a good start. As I cycled along the Northern (?) side, all I could see is reeds and about two feet of water "not good for fishing" I thought. I nearly circumnavigated the whole lake before I even saw a fish, and even then, I'm not sure it was a Carp (looked like a Cod/Yellowbelly - but probably was a Carp). The one or two fishos in the approximate same area gave me some sort of confidence that 'this is where the fish are'. The (possibly) Carp soon disappeared after I set up shop. I had two rods in - one float and one running sinker, with bread as the bait. After 20 or so minutes of not so much as a bite, I couldn't help but think 'corn or worms might be the go here'. Unfortunately, I had neither, so had to stick it out with just bread. Finally, my rod twitched ever so slightly (classic tell tale signs of a large Carp) I didn't strike straight away, but waited for another 'bite' before striking. I was on! 1m + Carp coming up! The aerobatics (x2) quickly confirmed it was a Rainbow Trout. Don't get me wrong, I love catching Trout. When I was kid I desired nothing more than to catch one, but found it notoriously difficult - I only caught one during my teenage years with Gillies spinner from Lake Fyans, but I came to catch a PB Carp, and couldn't but help to feel a little 'hollow'. But in spite of that, it was a good day, I tried a new spot and caught a 'new' species of fish - my first one since I got one in Cato Lake (Stawell) last summer. A stockie but a goodie. He did a good job of demolishing the bait. I cut the line as close as I could to the hook. I hope he survives to grow a little bigger.

The meter Carp will have to wait.
Attachments
74682769_451829582205646_8132269237784805376_n.jpg
72730146_446932905939484_6629696687583526912_n.jpg
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:14 pm

Enjoyed the read mate.
Would have been a beautiful day to wet a line!
Cheers :tu:

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:59 pm
Day off work and the sun was out. Drastic times call for drastic measures. I wanted to try somewhere different, so I continued peddling west along the creek, then the Yarra (which I overlooked), then through the tan to a little lake called 'Albert'. Now I've heard Albert is home to trophy-winning Carp of well over 1m who snatch anything off the surface and can be caught with relative ease by just sight-casting from the shore.
Nice little trout those ones. Albert park is good for the little stocked fish around spring, I just wish they would get a bit bigger.
I'd keep at the carp fishing, there are some truly massive fish hiding in albert park. I've seen a couple 20lb+ fish being caught, as well as spooking some probably bigger ones myself while flicking lures.
Cheers

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:27 pm

Cornacarpio, your reports and broomsticks are a significant part of why I’m part of this forum. You guys are great entertainers.
Keep up the good work.
And that is not negating all the other great stuff on here. There is a lot of top quality material.
It’s just that you two really tick my boxes.
Thank you.

Bugatti

Re: Cornacarpio's Carp Culling

Post by Bugatti » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:32 pm

Congratulations Mr C Carpio.

Your thread is very entertaining and one of the threads I follow. Always and interesting read and that metre carp shall come, I'm sure.

On this thread. Murlz called it well. This is his post on the very first page of this thread

Murlz wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:58 pm

This could end up being a very--------------long---------------thread.
Corny, you have the longest thread, posts wise, AND the longest thread, time span wise. Well done :tu:

Cheers, Bugatti
ps. Murlz, if you could PM me next weeks Lotto numbers, that would be greatly appreciated :-D

edit:
benders, Snap: I was typing my acknowledging thread of Cornacarpio's efforts and posted it and then saw yours. I agree and it is also nice to see that members notice not just his posts but Cornacarpia's efforts too

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 pm

He couldn't catch "the coronal" at TNA
Maybe he can't catch the bigger carp
Prove me wrong CC
Gra

Cornacarpio

Re: Cornacarpio's Carp Culling

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:32 pm

Corny, you have the longest thread, posts wise, AND the longest thread, time span wise. Well done :tu:
So it's only natural that I should have the LONGEST Carp! If only the fishing Gods would see it this way... :P Destiny awaits.

Seriously though, thanks for the kind words guys. Glad I provide some sort of entertainment value around here.

Yes, it seems Murls had a very prescient premonition very early on into my 'official' carp culling crusade!

Texas, I'll deal with you later :Bx:

I will (happily) spend the rest of my life trying to catch a bigger Carp!

The Colonel still haunts my dreams. :o_0: Not even joking.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 am

Why stop at a 1m carp?

Go for the 3 meterey

Great stuff CC

Return to “Other Species”