HOWQUA RIVER

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Tony Tacklebox

HOWQUA RIVER

Post by Tony Tacklebox » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:39 pm

hi guys, i've always wanted to fish the Howqua river but do not know the area at all so if you have any recommendations on where to fish the Howqua River it was be awsome, and whats the best methods for that river, thanks

Fish-Hunter

Re: HOWQUA RIVER

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:02 am

Sorry mate cant help :? :?

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 am

There are many spots to fish the Howqua from the Lake to the Historic Hills area. But do not go into the Samba Park and park your vehicle as when you get back it will be damaged by the Caretaker of the property. His name is Cam he thinks he owns the River came up from Mornington about three years ago a real Smart Alec... Most fishing on the River is with Fly gear, but most popular area is from the Mansfield Jamieson rd Bridge on the River out in to the Lake
Wally
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

Tony Tacklebox

Post by Tony Tacklebox » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:43 pm

thanks mate, i will look out for the caretaker.

ads027

Post by ads027 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Perhaps I'm a bit late to the party here but I have fished the Howqua for the last 20 of my 31 years. Before that the old man fished it religiously...'before it got too busy and over-fished.' Haven't been up for a couple of years now.

Over the years we have found the most consistent fishing to be between the six and seven mile campgrounds (there is quite a bit of water between them, certainly much more water than the seven-to-eight mile section, and it is much less accessible).

Otherwise, head up to the eight-mile campground, and walk the path that goes to 'Ritchie's hut' (I think it was damaged/destroyed in the fires a couple of years back..don't quote me on it).

From there up it's a little more challenging to fish but it's also harder for people to get to, so the fishing can still be quite good.

We have also continued up the road, over the bluff, and to Upper Jamieson hut on the other side. Using Celtas on the Upper Jamie is usually a fun day out too.

Tony Tacklebox

Post by Tony Tacklebox » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks ads027, is till haven't had the chance to get to the howqua river I made the mistake of getting married recently lol
When I get the chance I to go I will take your advice thanks mate

brutis

Post by brutis » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi Tony,i have fished the howqua for 30+years, but not the river.I fish the lake and can tell you that this area is one of my favourites for all styles of fishing.You cant go wrong bank fishing this area using worms,my preferance is trolling ,flat line tassies and diving lures such as jj`s stumpies and rapala shad rap [redfin lookalike]

Return to “Other Species”