lures for trout

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
andyk

Re: lures for trout

Post by andyk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Gastronmic are a very good plastic worked very well for me .

lemonbuttersauce

Post by lemonbuttersauce » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 pm

I have been using the strike pro vibes

They have quickly become my favorite lure.

Had some good sessions at buxton last season. Will be heading out as soon as I get some free time. Might be a trip to big river for my first outing this year.

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Hey folks,

I have a few of these I am tinkering with.

What do you think?

Cheers
Amanda
Attachments
7gram silver blade 1.jpg
7gram silver blade 1.jpg (150.07 KiB) Viewed 1400 times

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 am

Not too sure about those 'Strike Pro Vibes' for trout ! , they are more of a lure to use on a boat and bouncing them off the bottom.
Great lure for bream , a bloke from Marlo designed them specifically for bream mainly.

Not saying they wouldn't work, with enough trout around , and hungry enough , they will take pretty much anything flashy (even just some tinfoil on a hook !).
They look flashy enough to lure a trout , I might have to try them on trout, not sure how they will go though land based off the bank ?

Being the start of Spring, matching lures to the bugs in season works great. Fly fishermen have a ball this time of year using nymph flys.

As for lures etc , for soft plastics; Black nymph plastics ( dragonfly lava replica ), or bardi grub style sp's (blacks , browns , yellows , whites / with or without glitter speckles are a good second sp bait imo). Also small green/yellow frog sp's work good too as a second choice of sp bait.

Black and red / or black and green celtas and spinners also seem to work good around the start of Spring also.

I usually find smaller baits/lures/spinners/sp's work better around the start of spring (matching the newly small hatched/hatching bugs).
Heading later into the season before spawning I have more luck with larger hard body lures like rapalas and so on, as the fish become more territorial against larger fish ( larger lures ) to protect their area/hole before spawning.

Cheers , Rick
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:30 am

I don't know anything about trout fishing. But I've just had a rod built for the purpose and if I'm free tomorrow I might get a chance to go for a flick. I've been told to stock up on luckycraft slender pointer 67's and ecogear mx48's which I've done. Hope to get stuck into a few.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:47 am

rixter wrote:Not too sure about those 'Strike Pro Vibes' for trout ! , they are more of a lure to use on a boat and bouncing them off the bottom.
......................................................................................................................................................................
People do use them for trout with success. On saying that, more so in lakes etc.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
rixter wrote:Not too sure about those 'Strike Pro Vibes' for trout ! , they are more of a lure to use on a boat and bouncing them off the bottom.
......................................................................................................................................................................
People do use them for trout with success. On saying that, more so in lakes etc.
thanks
Jim
Being the start of trout season, I was more on the track about lures and so forth to do with wild trout in rivers.
I could see 'SPV's' working for trout on a lake from a boat no worries probably, trolling them or bouncing them off the bottom.
But imo (And from the guy who designed them) they are bottom bouncer lures.
If you cast that from a bank and wind it in , it will drag the nose of the lure ( and maybe snag ), due to the position of the line attachment on top of the lure, instead of the front of the lure.

Cheers mate , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

lemonbuttersauce

Post by lemonbuttersauce » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:03 pm

I gotta disagree about the Vibes. I use them off the bank in tiny streams and they are dynamite. Much easier to use than celta (which i used for decades with good success).

Best part for me is they get into action straight away and if I am in a very small pool where I only get a wind or two of the reel, this is very important.

However I have not really tried sp for trout yet. So can't compare there.

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:30 pm

lemonbuttersauce wrote:I gotta disagree about the Vibes. I use them off the bank in tiny streams and they are dynamite. Much easier to use than celta (which i used for decades with good success).

Best part for me is they get into action straight away and if I am in a very small pool where I only get a wind or two of the reel, this is very important.

However I have not really tried sp for trout yet. So can't compare there.

That's fair enough ;) , whatever works best for you.
I must say that a good 90% of trout fishing rivers around my area are shallow snaggy bottom rivers and so forth, dirtier water, branches everywhere under the water, so the vibes would get snagged easily around here in these rivers I think.

I actually wouldn't mind trying them and hour or so up the mountain from me in the highland rivers , with clear waters and snag free gravel beds on the bottom, could be a goer there with them off the bank I think.

Cheers mate , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Here in Tassie I use the Mepps Black Fury's and Bug spinners through out the trout season and have found them quite good. Also CD1 Rapala's in the rainbow & trout patterns. I only fish the rivers and streams here though, rarely fish the lakes.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Other Species”