lures for trout

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
simon2g

Re: lures for trout

Post by simon2g » Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 am

Would it cause a problem that it sinks too deep in a shallow stream 3-6ft deep because of the weight? if it is ill just grab a couple size 0/1 spinners instead and chalk out the extra bucks. Just thought 6 for $11 when theyre around 6 a pop is not a bad deal. Now i've pretty much familairised myself IN THEORY, with the river systems 'riffle, run, pool' layout and understand to work the tail of the pool first so as to not spook fish further up the pool and fan my cast along the tail where the tail of the pool meets water moving a little bit faster, and then theres the body.. and also the head. In regards to casting into runs and riffles, any paticular places i should be looking at casting in to in these stretches of water, obviously besides boulders sheltering current, snags/debris etc. I really look foward to getting out into the thick of it and learning the art of catching these wonderful species in the beautiful scenary most rivers/streams have to offers!

PS thanks jim for the info, and i will grab a minnow pattern and give it a crack for sure mate!

cheers.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu May 02, 2013 9:56 am

simon2g wrote:Would it cause a problem that it sinks too deep in a shallow stream 3-6ft deep because of the weight? if it is ill just grab a couple size 0/1 spinners instead and chalk out the extra bucks. Just thought 6 for $11 when theyre around 6 a pop is not a bad deal......
For that price you can't lose! I have used the same size lure in one location where the water can be 10 cm deep in places. Just lift your rod tip on retrieve and this will prevent the lure from 'sinking' down further! The only thing you will find is if the current is strong at times the lure will be 'pushed' to the surface unless you slow the wind down.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:10 am

approx. 40 years ago red eye silver spoons were deadly at bonnie doon but are no longer available unfortunately. Cheers . Lyall

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Fri May 03, 2013 10:15 am

hey lads, going to buy myself a couple of the cd03's in rainbow and brown pattern, and i'll get myself an original floating lure too in one of those patterns. to add to the spinners i've already got i'd say i'm prepared with lures in having a few different options would you fellas agree?

Russellh1

Lures for trout

Post by Russellh1 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:56 am

Hi Simon2g
Re Rapala Lures - Search Ebay for "Rapala Lures Lots" - You will be surprised by the mixture, Quantity, and Price - Yes Average price I around $4 each, depending of exchange rate.

Good Fishing

Russellh1

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Tue May 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Has anyone had any joy with SP's for trout?
I still favor the good old Tassie Devil, just haven't be adventurous enough to try SP's for trout.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue May 28, 2013 1:22 pm

ChrisD wrote:Has anyone had any joy with SP's for trout?
I still favor the good old Tassie Devil, just haven't be adventurous enough to try SP's for trout.
Scott has!

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=4571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue May 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Yeah I use softies for trout. These two are my favourites, consistent performers.
Top one is a Bozo minnow, awesome little lure. Bottom two are both sides of a Berkley Gulp Minnow grub in red/green Camo colour.
lures.jpg

onthemove73

Post by onthemove73 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Another good sp I've been using for trout and Redfin lately are the fish arrow flash J's in the 3" size. Use these guys in rivers and lakes and the fish love them. There are many different patterns to choose from to replicate local minnows etc in the water your fishing. Hope this helps.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed May 29, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks Guys, will check them out. Seems when I walk into a tackle store the amount of SP's across the wall is just overwhelming.....so I head back the the Tassie devil section and just grab a couple of them instead. With the local lakes about to be stocked again, it's time to step up and give the SP's a crack. (although i will have some tassies close to hand as back ups.......)

Return to “Other Species”