are carp getting harder to find?

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

are carp getting harder to find?

Post by ChrisD » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:42 am

Is it just me or are carp getting harder to find?
As a kid every fishing trip we went on carp were common, it seemed the challenge was to go fishing without catching one wacko , used to drive us crazy.
now however we talk about actually going out targeting them, and coming home with zero results some trips.
don't get me wrong, less carp is a good thing, just seems to me that their numbers are dropping and they are becoming harder to find.

Rod Bender

Re: are carp getting harder to find?

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:51 am

I haven't caught one for possibly over 3 months! Unfortunately I have no doubt they are out there in excessive number, well in the system I fish anyway. Not sure why but they have just 'turned off'. I can't even catch a redfin at the moment! Possibly the same conditions, whatever it is, that is slowing down the carp. I have no doubt that when that 'something' changes they will be back with a vengeance. There were simply too many of them around here to be cleaned up by cod or something else.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Ricko

Post by Ricko » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:49 am

It is a great thing. Stocking more native fish such as cod and bass should held rid these pests !

chopzor

Post by chopzor » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 am

Still abundant in the marybinong waters....

Any tips to avoid carp all together?

Looking to catch a more prized species such as yellowbelly or some kind of perch.

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:15 pm

My daughter and I had a great little carp session last night at one of the local lakes. Small long shank hooks and a couple of pieces of corn put an end to about a dozen carp ion a couple of hours. It was great fun and I didn't have to travle far. Having said that I think that the stocking of natives, especially cod, has helped to lower the carp popupations in the rivers a tiny bit but there are still THOUSANDS out there. I look forward to the day when I can say that I haven't caught a carp in a while.
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Sounds like there are still plenty around, i am either getting lucky and seeing none or I am really doing things wrong at present :)

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:57 pm

go edwards lake last time i went got plenty and good gaff practic
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

rixter

Post by rixter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:03 am

I swear I almost replyed to this post earlier today , to mention that i hadn't caught a carp in around 20 years !.
Well low and behold me ! , just came back from some night fishing and landed a 69cm carp out of the tarago river at midnight !.
Just broke my 20 years carp drought/spell ! :crazy: Hooray !!!
Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

netmaker

Post by netmaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 am

ChrisD wrote:Is it just me or are carp getting harder to find?
As a kid every fishing trip we went on carp were common, it seemed the challenge was to go fishing without catching one wacko , used to drive us crazy.
now however we talk about actually going out targeting them, and coming home with zero results some trips.
don't get me wrong, less carp is a good thing, just seems to me that their numbers are dropping and they are becoming harder to find.
Hi Chris,i think the answer to your question go's on just were you are fishing,i'm not sure were your fishing but if you were to come over my way there are places i know of were at times you can write your own ticket on just how many you want to catch.@ Numurkah the broken cr is livid with them,not so long ago i caught 56carp in 75min's,before i run out of worms.
I could not fish with 2 rods.The worst part is whenever we get a decent flood they breed like rabbits,cheer's Murph....
3p's will catch you fish,patients,perserverence,persistance....

nemo

Post by nemo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 am

Camped by the Murray River a few weeks ago over two days and one night, and aimed for cod. But we definitely had more carps than cods! As per usual for me, I aim for one thing but I land another. Perhaps all you need is to bait up not for carp, and they'll fire up again to annoy you ;)

Return to “Other Species”