Bait for Redfin?

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Oldmanriver

Re: Red fin

Post by Oldmanriver » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:14 pm

drew 2 wrote:For a good redfin bait first catch a redfin on a lure,bang it on the head,rip the red part of the gills out, put that on the hook, then drop it back into the same water it came out of.good way to get a big one. An observation i've made over the years fishing from a boat is that when you are on to a school of redfin dont return any to the water (dead or alive) till the school or you move on.
Way back in time Drew I did just that while fishing at Pykes Creek Reservoir catching a small reddie & using the red gill area of it for bait & then minutes later landing a 4lb plus brown trout & as a bonus that won me the Williamstown Angling Club fishing comp for that day, so a win-win for me that day :thumbsup: :D
Cheers oldmanriver (John)

The best things in life you just have to BAIT for ;) :)
My missus ran away with my best fishing buddy... Geez I miss him!

Tp_18

Post by Tp_18 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Hey i use small spinners with red dots which catches more of the smaller ones and i also caught a 28cm redfin which weigh about 1kg with a pick tassie devil, but bait wise the best bet is worms.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 am

Hey mate, the best bait for Redfin by a mile is Live Minnow

eslop

Post by eslop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Soft plastics are my favourite, try different colours. I find the wrigglers work best (more movement I guess).

If you get a small one, the big ones will smash it it you put a hook through it's back. They love to eat their own!

Worms are good too, but I get sick of hooking up to carp. And small yabbys work well.
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

Return to “Other Species”