BIG RIVER - SPINNING/HARDBODIES

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
munky7584

BIG RIVER - SPINNING/HARDBODIES

Post by munky7584 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 am

Hi all,
A mate and myself are looking at going camping/fishing up on Big river to spin/lure fish for some trout.
I'd like to see what u guys think of where to go and what lures/spinners/soft plastics etc have worked for u.
cheers.

wading not drowning

Re: BIG RIVER - SPINNING/HARDBODIES

Post by wading not drowning » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:03 pm

G'day Munky,I'm a bit of a luddite/traditionalist so I would be confident with a couple of rapala rt and bt C.D's for the slower glides, some little tassie devils in pink,red and gold based patterns when you wan't to cover some distance and a few red/gold,black/gold celtas for the riffles and pockets in the rapids.I have some nice little troutlike plastics but have never used them.I reckon they would work well tossed above the lips of deeper pools and being allowed to sink down into the foam before starting a slow retrieve.A couple of Elk hair caddis(a common dry fly imitating those little white moths you see fluttering over the river some times) on a bubble float can work during the evening rise.Most of this area is well fished being so close to town so walking will be a big help.I recently fished a tributary of big river and we were 3 hrs wading upstream before the fishing went off(in a good way).A lot of this terrain can be a bit difficult so be sure to think of your safety(i.e. how do I get out an hour upstream with a sprained ankle or I slip and fall on a broken stick).Hope this helps and you get a few.

munky7584

Re: BIG RIVER - SPINNING/HARDBODIES

Post by munky7584 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks, thats a big help.

Return to “Other Species”