Fly in the otways

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Jucfishing

Fly in the otways

Post by Jucfishing » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi everyone,
I’m starting to get into fly fishing and I’m going to head over to the otways for the day to try and get onto some trout. I just want to know where the bet locations are for a beginner like me. I also don’t have waders so that limits my options slightly. I heard that the Gellibrand River around Stevenson’s falls is pretty good. Also what flies will be ther best? Cheers in advance :victory:

Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Fly in the otways

Post by Windknot » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:31 am

Pretty much any freshwater in or near the Otways will hold trout. The Gellibrand at Stevensons Falls is great for walking and fly fishing, with plenty of room, generally, for your backcasts. The middle sections of the Gellibrand holds some huge trout, but much of it is overgrown with bank side vegetation and it can be difficult to access. In the same vicinity, the Barwon River just downstream from the West Barwon dam can be good, depending on the release of water from the dam.

There are more good trout streams over on the ocean side of the Otways, like the Cumberland, the Wild Dog Creek and the Barham River and others. A quick walk up from the Great Ocean Road bridge of nearly all the streams you cross, will have you into good trout water. The Aire River upstream of the Great Ocean Road is very good also.

Jucfishing

Post by Jucfishing » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Windknot wrote:Pretty much any freshwater in or near the Otways will hold trout. The Gellibrand at Stevensons Falls is great for walking and fly fishing, with plenty of room, generally, for your backcasts. The middle sections of the Gellibrand holds some huge trout, but much of it is overgrown with bank side vegetation and it can be difficult to access. In the same vicinity, the Barwon River just downstream from the West Barwon dam can be good, depending on the release of water from the dam.

There are more good trout streams over on the ocean side of the Otways, like the Cumberland, the Wild Dog Creek and the Barham River and others. A quick walk up from the Great Ocean Road bridge of nearly all the streams you cross, will have you into good trout water. The Aire River upstream of the Great Ocean Road is very good also.
Is their really fish downstream of the dam? I never thought it would be with fishing there because once I went on a walk down there and it looked lifeless. It would be interesting to see if there are any trout lurking in there though. Thanks for the help!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Jucfishing never fished your side of the state but have fly fished a lot I would be using nymphs this time of year for a beginner the insect hatches when its warmer is great for using dry flies to catch plenty of fish on red tags royal wolfs.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 pm

Watch out for Panthers

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:21 am

Kimtown wrote:Watch out for Panthers
Or Cougars....then again, maybe not...

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:22 pm

When i used to fly fish on the reasonable regular for trout, klinkhammer fly pattern was my goto and generally most successful. Its got a great dropped hook design, which i found allows/gets "sub-surface" surface takes + has a good parachute for floatant and visibility on the drift. In black, brown or olive its a great generic impersonation of many likely insects in the area at the time. Can run a dropper off it as well of course.

Worth a look at having a few in your fly box imo/experience.

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Kimtown wrote:Watch out for Panthers
Or, magpies swooping tigers

Return to “Other Species”