Tiger trout soon to hit victorian lakes!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Tiger trout soon to hit victorian lakes!

Post by rb85 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Paulanderson wrote:I have nothing against Tiger Trout but it truly sucks that at Snobs Creek they produce a few thousand Macquarie Perch a year from wild stock and will not spend money on serious research to solve the issues involved in a captive breeding program that will produce significant numbers of juvenile fish. Many of these issues were solved by NSW Fisheries in any event. Current Macquarie Perch production is tokenism at its worst and doing very little to stop the decline in this once widespread species.
Boonanza wrote:What a crock of sh*t this is spend the money on native fish FFS :down:
Agree with both of you guys on this I guess it comes down to $ that trout fishing brings dare say Truedogz would have more knowledge on the stuff

trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by trout-hunter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:35 pm

rb85 wrote:
Paulanderson wrote:I have nothing against Tiger Trout but it truly sucks that at Snobs Creek they produce a few thousand Macquarie Perch a year from wild stock and will not spend money on serious research to solve the issues involved in a captive breeding program that will produce significant numbers of juvenile fish. Many of these issues were solved by NSW Fisheries in any event. Current Macquarie Perch production is tokenism at its worst and doing very little to stop the decline in this once widespread species.
Boonanza wrote:What a crock of sh*t this is spend the money on native fish FFS :down:
Agree with both of you guys on this I guess it comes down to $ that trout fishing brings dare say Truedogz would have more knowledge on the stuff
Agree with all 3 but at the same time ill say that i think introduced fish survive better and breed more. When carp, redfin and trout hit our creeks and rivers they wouldn't of survived aswell if all rivers had native fish. Im in the yarra valley and if it wasnt for introduced fish then ill only catch Macquarie perch and black fish. What natives even lived up around noojee? Even cod got introduced into the yarra, i do understand that we are overrun with introduced fish that eat the young of our natives but no matter how much $$ is spent on stocking natives we will always end up where we are now with the same problem. Theres talk of re introducing dingos back into all victorian state Forrests, i know dingos are not native but someone thinks there needed.. they will x breed with ferral dogs and then all hell will break loose.. honestly the only thing australia should stop introducing is people.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Guess you will take the lead trout hunter

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:32 pm

rb85 wrote:Guess you will take the lead trout hunter
Take the lead in what?

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:00 am

Trout Hunter you may be interested to know that Macquarie Perch were also translocated into the Yarra - where they have established a viable self-supporting population and are used by Native Fish Australia (Vic) as the brood stock for their Macquarie Perch breeding. I very much enjoy trout fishing myself and well know that the majority of fishermen are very happy with the current balance of fish stocking but my view is that just because something is difficult - like a captive breeding program for Macquarie Perch - Victorian Fisheries should not walk away from it. In fact it would be a very good project for the Arthur Rylah Research Institute to undertake as they have the knowledge and people - they would just need funding for it and of course cooperation from those such as NFA and Snobs Creek that have appropriate facilities and of course NSW Fisheries at Narrandera who made good progress with breeding Maccas - sadly progress that has now stopped.

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:03 am

Paulanderson wrote:Trout Hunter you may be interested to know that Macquarie Perch were also translocated into the Yarra - where they have established a viable self-supporting population and are used by Native Fish Australia (Vic) as the brood stock for their Macquarie Perch breeding. I very much enjoy trout fishing myself and well know that the majority of fishermen are very happy with the current balance of fish stocking but my view is that just because something is difficult - like a captive breeding program for Macquarie Perch - Victorian Fisheries should not walk away from it. In fact it would be a very good project for the Arthur Rylah Research Institute to undertake as they have the knowledge and people - they would just need funding for it and of course cooperation from those such as NFA and Snobs Creek that have appropriate facilities and of course NSW Fisheries at Narrandera who made good progress with breeding Maccas - sadly progress that has now stopped.
Never knew they were put in the yarra, i do agree that stocking natives is important, my thoughts are hard to explain and to fully explain myself ill be writing all night. Im very clued on as to what each animal does for the echo system and instead of putting big big bucks into a very long time of effort witch may never pay off it could be spent on bigger issues like the wild brumby situation thats threatening the existence of hundreds of native frogs lizards birds even koalas, or even controlling rabbits a bit better without cruel disease, who would of thought that the biggest killer to wombats is the rabbit! Lots of our native animals are at risk so i just think theres bigger issues to spend money on. Im not saying give up on fish but isn't there realy only 1 type of fish destroying our water ways. Carp is the water issue to deal with first. Im not disagreeing because im not familiar on what work is being done with restocking rivers, i just know stuff all is being done to save our native icons that are in real danger. Long neck turtles eggs are eaten by foxs and lace monitors are in danger due to habitat destruction. Both animals have been estimated to be almost extinct within 20 years if nothing changes.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:37 am

trout-hunter wrote:
Take the lead in what?
By stopping Australia introducing more people.
Not having children.

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:10 am

rb85 wrote:
trout-hunter wrote:
Take the lead in what?
By stopping Australia introducing more people.
Not having children.
Yeah good one, exactly what i ment..

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:03 am

What did you mean

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:38 am

“Anytime else remember Europe”?
Did you make this yourself

So your issues not overpopulation it’s non European migration?

I’m not going to debate this all I will say is sports/activities like fishing are enjoyed by people of many racial backgrounds your post would be offensive to some of the fine anglers on this site who may not look like your “fair dinkum Aussie” but are definitely the real deal.

Return to “Other Species”