Can you add any tips for trout fishing?

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Rod Bender

Can you add any tips for trout fishing?

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi All,
I thought I may share some things I have picked up from fellow fisherman over the years regarding lures / colors that I have had success with when fishing for trout.

One thing I learnt with trout is they have a great ability to 'throw' treble hooks when they jump or thrash about on the surface. When I am chasing trout I often replace trebles with 'single lure' hooks. These are hooks made specifically for replacing trebles on lures. I have also turned normal trebles into 'W' hooks by cutting off one of the treble points. I am still yet to test this on a fish. The only thing one has to be wary of is when you change hooks you may affect how the lure swims. I use Rapala lures a lot and find I can make changes on the CD1 and CD3 sizes with out to much fuss.

When 'fighting' a fish I always (when I remember!) hold my rod down, whilst still keeping the line tight. This generally results in less 'jumps' from the fish reducing the chance of the fish throwing the lure.

I use spinners and minnow style lures. Some good colors I have found with spinners (Rooster Tails / Vibrax) are pink and orange at times. Of the Rapala colors I have had success with various colors but as far as I'm concerned some standout colors (probably in different water conditions) are Firetiger (FT), Alburnus (ALB) and the Minnow (MN) pattern.

Most of my trout fishing has been done with lures. I have caught a few using crickets as bait. If you have any tips on any aspect of trout fishing, be it favourite lures, bait etc please feel free to add them here! I am certainly no expert and look forward to any ideas!
thanks
Jim
Attachments
MN.jpg
MN.jpg (5.89 KiB) Viewed 420 times
FT.jpg
FT.jpg (6 KiB) Viewed 420 times
ALB.jpg
ALB.jpg (9.67 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

andyk

Re: Can you add any tips for trout fishing?

Post by andyk » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi Jim at the moment I like to troll mudeyes behind a fender on the surface then once the Sun hits go down deeper works for me I have also used rapala x raps or jointed for great Sucess as well

St3vil

Post by St3vil » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:55 am

There are a couple of new soft plastic patterns around that i think would work well if your into soft plastic fishing.

I used to use the classic green or red celter lures which worked well.

In my opinion there is nothing like catching a trout on a fly. Most country tackle store know what flies are being taken
at what time of the year. To drop a dry fly in front of a trout and watch it take it is awesome.
Not only that but to be on a river casting flies is a beautiful way to relax.

wading not drowning

Post by wading not drowning » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:42 am

I have to defer to St 3vil Jim, get yourself a fly rod. I think I read a post of yours r.e. the ovens? If that's the region your fishing the fly is a whole lot of fun.If on the other hand you view robbing the local T.A.B or selling the missus and kids into slavery with some trepidation, luckily some things about fishing are universal. Keep moving and ringing the changes till you start getting fish.Trout are very territorial unless spawning and once reaching a decent size will sit on a prime lie throughout the season (think food supply.cover from the main current and cover from predators,us and the cormorants.) Glides, runs and riffles hold more catchable trout than those big deep sexy holes where we all imagine the monsters live.Those monsters probably are in there but are best fished for with a scrubby after dark.Not really my cup of tea anymore. Always fish the bubble lines first,these are the food conveyer belts.Fish the good bits hard.The good bits are the ones that remind you of where you caught the last one.Fish at the right depth.When the water warms up fish are more reluctant to swim up through the water column so to see if something is worth eating. There's a couple of starters Jim but the main game is personal observation of the waters you are fishing and having a crack.One last hint that has come to me is dry flies on droppers above a bubble float during the evening rise.Not so elegant but not against the law.Don't sweat on the right fly,just have a couple in different sizes and colours and make sure one is an elk hair caddis. Hope your getting a few. Neil.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 am

wading not drowning wrote:I have to defer to St 3vil Jim, get yourself a fly rod. Neil.
It is planned for the future. Problem I have is poor mobility until I lose some weight! It hampers my lure fishing as well but I do plan on getting a fly rod and practicing on the carp in the easily accessible channels around home until I can become a bit more mobile. Some great advice from everyone as well.
thanks
Jim

wading not drowning

Post by wading not drowning » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:44 am

Don't know if they still make them Jim but I have a shimano 6 pc pack rod with a reversible butt that threw a 6wt line ok and doubled as a light spin stick.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:34 pm

I intend on having some lessons so will get some advice then. Won't happen until mid next year. There is a fly fishing club in Shepparton and one of my DSE colleagues is a member so I think they will be a good place to start.
thanks
Jim

wading not drowning

Post by wading not drowning » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Sounds good Jim.Ask your mate for some dries and give the bubble float a go during the evening rise. Neil.

Return to “Other Species”