Need Help with catching Redfin!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Need Help with catching Redfin!

Post by Redhunter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Truedogz wrote:
LachyBell wrote: Im only lucky to get one for the day. Any good places, around Melbourne I can try. Also what baits are they suckers for just in case.
Lachy, in many spots near Melbourne catching a redfin a day is a reasonable result. They are not around in the huge numbers they used to be in places like the Yarra, Maribyrnong and their associated lagoons. They can be quite fickle at times too. There are a few ornamental lakes near Melbourne where they are caught regularly but you don't often hear about good size fish. Other lakes away from Melbourne like William Hovell, Eppalock and Glenmaggie hold quite good populations. Irrigation channels in the Goulburn Valley are reasonably reliable producers, but any fish over about half a kilo is quite a good fish. Probably the best producer near Melbourne is Eppalock, and Sugarloaf has a lot of small ones; most lakes have populations.

If you are looking at the Yarra there seems to be more reliable captures upstream of Lilydale than further down these days.

As to lures you have listed a good selection. I would throw in a celta or vibrax spinner. Small hard bodies can be very effective - check out Davek's recent report 'A night at the local' to see what he was using. In fact, check out a few of his threads; on this site he has many posts which will give you ideas.

As to baits, number one is worms followed by small yabbies. Redfin like to see movement and quite often you catch them on worms as you wind in - if it is not too snaggy don't wind in too fast as many a time I have caught them during the retrieve. A bubble float fished near structure and reeds and can be effective.

This is a good basic intro: http://www.fishingtacklelures.com.au/au ... niques.php

The best book ever written on catching them is 'Catching Redfin on Bait, Flies and Spinners'. It was written in the 1950s so the spots and lures are out of date - in fact soft plastics weren't around then! But it has great info on their behaviour and techniques, if you want to understand what makes them tick, but as I said a lot of info is out of date. You might find it at a library and it comes up on ebay reasonably often quite cheap.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Love reading your posts Truedogz, you're a wealth of information and a big asset to this forum mate, thankyou. Keep up the great work, your wisdom is always appreciated here.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Haven't been there in years, but when I was a kid my Dad took me to Pykes creek res a few times and we got reddies. That's sort of close. Don't know what it fishes like these days though.

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:23 am

Truedogz wrote:
LachyBell wrote: Im only lucky to get one for the day. Any good places, around Melbourne I can try. Also what baits are they suckers for just in case.
Lachy, in many spots near Melbourne catching a redfin a day is a reasonable result. They are not around in the huge numbers they used to be in places like the Yarra, Maribyrnong and their associated lagoons. They can be quite fickle at times too. There are a few ornamental lakes near Melbourne where they are caught regularly but you don't often hear about good size fish. Other lakes away from Melbourne like William Hovell, Eppalock and Glenmaggie hold quite good populations. Irrigation channels in the Goulburn Valley are reasonably reliable producers, but any fish over about half a kilo is quite a good fish. Probably the best producer near Melbourne is Eppalock, and Sugarloaf has a lot of small ones; most lakes have populations.

If you are looking at the Yarra there seems to be more reliable captures upstream of Lilydale than further down these days.

As to lures you have listed a good selection. I would throw in a celta or vibrax spinner. Small hard bodies can be very effective - check out Davek's recent report 'A night at the local' to see what he was using. In fact, check out a few of his threads; on this site he has many posts which will give you ideas.

As to baits, number one is worms followed by small yabbies. Redfin like to see movement and quite often you catch them on worms as you wind in - if it is not too snaggy don't wind in too fast as many a time I have caught them during the retrieve. A bubble float fished near structure and reeds and can be effective.

This is a good basic intro: http://www.fishingtacklelures.com.au/au ... niques.php

The best book ever written on catching them is 'Catching Redfin on Bait, Flies and Spinners'. It was written in the 1950s so the spots and lures are out of date - in fact soft plastics weren't around then! But it has great info on their behaviour and techniques, if you want to understand what makes them tick, but as I said a lot of info is out of date. You might find it at a library and it comes up on ebay reasonably often quite cheap.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Thanks heaps man, Ive been trying sugarloaf but they are never big. Ill try Eppalock possibly soon.

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Redfin are also cannibalistic, so putting a small livey back out can result in big catches. Not that I do that well on the big reddie front...

FlynnFisherman

Post by FlynnFisherman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Best lures for reddies in my opinion are Berkley fat dogs and Savage Gear fat heads, both seem to do the job in any pattern or colour (bright colours work pretty well though). I've also done pretty well on small stump jumpers. Pretty much if the lure fits in a reddies mouth they will probably eat it.

guppie12
Has liked: 1 time

Post by guppie12 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:06 am

If there are any lakes in your suburb or really close to it put quite a bit of time into it and try to find spots I have done this with my local for 2 years and only last year I started to get good results with the first year of fishing it i didn’t get many fish at all but now that I have worked it out I can get fish pretty much every session. And always try new things like different styles of lures, bait and mabey even flies
Cheers

Return to “Other Species”