Best Line for Trout (lures)

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Best Line for Trout (lures)

Post by Truedogz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm

After a tough six months I am going through all of my tackle getting ready for a lot of fishing. Life is all too short so from this point on I'm going to do as much fishing and camping as I can.

Having spent twenty years in the tropics I am a bit out of touch with the latest stuff for trout in terms of spinning tackle. Up north I used 6 lb fused braid (Fireline crystal) for catching jungle perch, sooties and even barra on small lures and spinners. It was stiff to start off with but eventually became supple. I really enjoyed the feel and responsiveness with lures and soft plastics and the higher breaking strain in rough situations. I use fused Fireline smoke when bait fishing for larger natives and used braid on my old Shimano baitcaster which got trashed on barra. I haven't used mono for years but thought it might have an advantage with lower visibility for trout.

The other day I put some 6 lb Suffix mono on my spinning reel and so far I don't like it. I'm probably now too used to fused braid. Robbie Alexander swears by Maxima green for his light trout/redfin spinning gear.

So I am after some recommendations from all the wisdom out there in the forum!

I am after a 4 to 6 lb line for my spinning gear for trout and reddies. Do I go mono (eg. Maxima Green) or go back to Fireline crystal? I don't use leaders, except when I have bladed spinners where I use a keel. The line will be used for spinners, hard bodies, soft plastics and even bait. Do you think the mono is that much less visible than crystal?

Any opinions?

Best Wishes

Truedogz

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Best Line for Trout (lures)

Post by ducky » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Honestly mate don’t listen to Robbie Alexander. The guy has some clue but a lot of what he says is just utter crap.

A decent quality pe0.6 or 0.8 braid and 5-10lb leader depending on the territory you are in will see you catching plenty of trout without trouble.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:43 pm

I'd love to do the same truedogz. Life is way too short.

I use 8lb sunline. It's one of the nicer braids I've used. Very supple and smooth.
I use 6lb - 10lb leader depending. I don't really like using mono for lure fishing.

Anth

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:43 pm

Drop Meppstas a PM, he's probably got some idea
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I thought this question would be of interest to beginners too.

I don't really want to use leaders, as the eyesight is in decline and I don't like tying too many knots. If I was just using the tackle spinning for trout like Adrian does then I would go with a leader. But I want to be a bit more flexible and be able to use it on SPs and light bait casting.

Truedogz

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 pm

I'm a big fan of Berkley Trilene Sensation Mono it is good for spinning with lures & SPs :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Braid all the way. Much nicer to use and cast. Especially with small light lures. fireline crystal is like fencing wire. Shocking stuff. If you like fireline tournament exceed is alright. I've just put jbraid on my bass gear for this summer. Hopefully I like it.
If you don't like leaders can you tie a long leader while your at home that should last you a little while. Braid needs a leader.
If mono is the go I'd get either maxima or platypus

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Hosery

I found the Fireline crystal to be very stiff at first, but after use it freed up. I'm going back ten years ago when I was using it up north and I am sure things have moved - thats why I have asked the question.

I never bothered with a leader with Jungle perch - and they are just as easily spooked as brown trout. I know there is a fair amount of bulls**t at times in trout fishing. Its what a grew up, I would have caught thousand or more trout over the years and I am a keen fly fisherman! I'd rate Jungle perch as even tougher than trout when it comes to being spooked. Is it really that big an issue with trout to use fused braid without a leader?

Boonanza: I like the lack of stretch with fused braid for SPs and lures in general. What does the Trilene feel like? Stretchy?

Truedogz

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 pm

I agree on the jungle perch. I went around Aus couple of years ago and was lucky enough to catch a few. Much more spooky than trout. If it worked for you up there than why change? If it's not broke than don't fix it.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:22 pm

hey mate checkout the shimano exage cheap as and i cant fault it

Return to “Other Species”