Winter Redfin

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Fisho11
Has liked: 2 times

Winter Redfin

Post by Fisho11 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Gday All,
Went out for a flick tonight down to a few local spots where a month of 2 back I would be catching 10-15 Reddies a session all be it most small in less that a meter of water, went out today not a touch or follow.
This made me wonder if they are schooling deeper now the frosts have hit. Although ive read they like 12 degree + so I thought that meter zone would still be viable?
Thanks
Fisho11

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Winter Redfin

Post by Redhunter » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Fisho11 wrote:This made me wonder if they are schooling deeper
Bingo! Reddies prefer warm water. They are most active in the warmer months, therefore have more of an appetite during this time. As the water cools they tend to school up in deeper water and slow right down, therefore eating less regularly. Winter can be a tough time chasing reddies, but you'll find what you lack in numbers, you make up for in size. Now is a good time to chase the bigger fish. Good luck!

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 pm

I was at a local lake recently and saw a few 30cm+ redfin being taken and all were caught casting into deeper water on 13gram and duel depth Tassies as well as plastics with a heavy jig head and letting them hit the bottom before starting the retrieve. Might end up losing a few lures but it was the only way they were being caught. Hope that helps you.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Will defiantly have a go in that deeper stuff then, got a few TN50s cheap off buy swap sell, might be a good option I guess. I have never fish deeper water with much success would trolling or flicking be more productive?
Thanks
Fisho 11

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:44 pm

I've used tn60's with good results on the bigger fish. Definitely give the 50's a go in the deeper water. Keep them close to the bottom, and pause mid retrieve and let the lure hit the bottom. Let it sit there for a few seconds, then continue the retrieve. While the lure is sitting on the bottom, it should be sitting upright on its nose. You will often get hits during the pause, or the second you continue that retrieve. Give it a try.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Fisho11 wrote:Will defiantly have a go in that deeper stuff then, got a few TN50s cheap off buy swap sell, might be a good option I guess. I have never fish deeper water with much success would trolling or flicking be more productive?
Thanks
Fisho 11
Can't answer on the boat part as I'm land based but they guys I saw were fishing the steeper banks which leads directly into deeper water. The Tassies they were using i noticed were all yellow winged variety's and the plastics in pink or white.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Might head out tomorrow arvo/Evening and give it a crack, I have got a pack of the White and pink Zman Grubs so will have a throw of them too.
Should I be varying retrieve speeds or will slower be better with the less activity?
Thanks for the advice, will post how I go.

Cheers
Fisho11

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:34 pm

If you have a boat it's not a bad idea to try vertical jigging. As the water cools they are less inclined to chase down a fleeing bait and would rather have something slow moving.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Went out again last night to a local lake, no luck talked to some blokes with boats and sounders and they said they couldnt find any schools, guess ill go back soon and have another crack.

Return to “Other Species”