Any good spots around Melbourne to catch Redfin

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
herefishy

Re: Any good spots around Melbourne to catch Redfin

Post by herefishy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 am

Chris I use a red spinner it's deadly for them
Its not the size of the dog in the fight......its the size of the fight in the dog!!!!!!!

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Will have to make sure I have one in the tackle box next trip there....hopefully at some stage this weekend.
Hit the lake with the good old pink Tassie Devil and then head down to the creek and try my luck.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:51 pm

ChrisD do u have any luck with the tassie I've tried and tried cant catch a trout with them any tips???
Its not the size of the dog in the fight......its the size of the fight in the dog!!!!!!!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:55 pm

hey herefishy best advice i can give is that when you work them at the right pace the rod tip vibrates rythmically, apart from that i don't do anything special although im sure others do.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 pm

mazman wrote:hey herefishy best advice i can give is that when you work them at the right pace the rod tip vibrates rythmically, apart from that i don't do anything special although im sure others do.
I just try different speeds on the retrieve, different rod angles and different colours if one isn't working....i think sometimes with lure fishing it is putting the lure near where the fish are so they come an investigate or there is a reaction to put the thing in their mouth. :water:

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:10 am

The last couple of months is the first I have used them. I can say I have cast out more times then fish caught though.
But by the same tokin I have had a few hook ups, and also caught my biggest Brown trout ever. That was at Lilydale at the dam wall.
Generally been a bait fisher until now, so keen to keep trying the Tassie Devils, and to give spinners for Red fin a go.
Also been looking at the EcoGear ZX Blades, but they are not that cheap, and I fear paying out near enough to $20, to loss it on a snag first cast. :wall:

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:19 pm

An old thread I know but.. Having recently moved to Hoppers Crossing Ive been told the werribee river holds a good stock of Redfin above the weir.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:44 pm

ChrisD wrote:The last couple of months is the first I have used them. I can say I have cast out more times then fish caught though.
But by the same tokin I have had a few hook ups, and also caught my biggest Brown trout ever. That was at Lilydale at the dam wall.
Generally been a bait fisher until now, so keen to keep trying the Tassie Devils, and to give spinners for Red fin a go.
Also been looking at the EcoGear ZX Blades, but they are not that cheap, and I fear paying out near enough to $20, to loss it on a snag first cast. :wall:
You could try some cheaper blades like the strike pro.....won't hurt the wallet as much if you lose one.

awm1989

Post by awm1989 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Yeah i fished above the weir today hoping for redfin, not a thing on sp.
Need to get worms.

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Pakenham has a couple of lakes known to have redfin in them too, though I have only got one or two fish over 20cm........ Seems they still have a bit of growing up to do...

Return to “Other Species”