Does anglers killing carp make any difference?

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
GTSHoon

Re: Does anglers killing carp make any difference?

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 am

I get where you're coming from wolly but at the same time, can't you just remove the comments that contain threats of violence and leave the post as is, and in respect to the charter one I whole heartedly disagree. It was a discussion, no one was actively "shitcanning" a named charter operation or even charters as a whole merely raising a valid question as to whether or not the way some are run is sustainable in the long run.
But I guess as a mod our input as vocal members of this online community has little baring on how the site runs.....

As an aside I agree wholeheartedly with smokin reels, redfin and trout are awful for the environment as well. I cannot understand why so much blame is placed only on carp when any introduced aquatic pecies is a threat. And that's coming from someone who fishes for trout.
Should be rules in place banning the release of any introduced species, not just carp.
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:44 am

Absolutely spot-on. It's heartening to see a few fellow members pointing this out.

A total ban on trout-stocking and a concerted effort to stock natives would do a lot more good than smacking the odd carp over the head with half a house-brick...

Mike.
GTSHoon wrote:As an aside I agree wholeheartedly with smokin reels, redfin and trout are awful for the environment as well. I cannot understand why so much blame is placed only on carp when any introduced aquatic pecies is a threat. And that's coming from someone who fishes for trout.
Should be rules in place banning the release of any introduced species, not just carp.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:45 am

GTSHoon wrote:I get where you're coming from wolly but at the same time, can't you just remove the comments that contain threats of violence and leave the post as is, and in respect to the charter one I whole heartedly disagree. It was a discussion, no one was actively "shitcanning" a named charter operation or even charters as a whole merely raising a valid question as to whether or not the way some are run is sustainable in the long run.
But I guess as a mod our input as vocal members of this online community has little baring on how the site runs.....

Terms of Use

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientatedor any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Fishing Victoria Forum” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Fishing Victoria Forum” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

This is the terms of use, on some other websites there would be no discussion, and you would be permanently banned. You guys are generally give a lot of lee way.

The site is run by Fishing Vic, and he is the one who has the ultimate and final say as too what happens on this site, Your feed back is welcome, but NO you do not have a say in how this site is run, only Fishing Vic has a say in what happens.

People who are antagonisers will start an arguement/ fight, then sit back as say they didn't start it and plead innocence.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 am

Wolly. As I stated in my pm in reply to the warning you gave me for that post mentioning the recent policing being a bit "strong" There is a fine line between moderating effectively, letting threads run rampant and shutting down discussion. The mix here was very good for a long time. Your moderation had been great for a long time. It started to get a bit strong so I questioned it and received a forum warning for my troubles.

It seems like my post struck a chord with a few long term members who had noticed the same thing.

It is very easy to dismiss negative feedback as being a personal attack. But that is not the case here. Honest feedback both positive and negative is a gift. It is better to air issues and nip them in the bud then to let them fester and worsen.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:53 am

This thread is drifting off topic.. can all introduced fish I say!! If we wanna fish trout there should be designated lakes not rivers n streams.. carp are great fun to catch it's a shame having to kill big breeders of any species but natives get top priority with me any day of the week!

One angler cannot make a difference I believe fisheries n the local angling community need to promote carp fishing a hell of a lot more to reduce numbers! They are here to stay but we can still try n fix what we can in the process!

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:55 am

Hang on, I would get banned for questioning how the moderating has been handled? If that's all it takes I'd be quite worried about the future of this forum.
Also as I said, why couldn't the individual posts be removed but the topic left open? Sure it's at your discretion or however you want to say it but I can't see a reason for this decision, especially the locking of the charter baglimits discussion.

I've been on this site a fair while and I'm just worried that such strict moderation may affect the activity on the forum. Plus if you notice the people complaining are some of the more respected, long term members in this community which suggests the issue may be a bit deeper than what you have recognized.

As duckster has said though, none of this is a personal attack, just merely "troubleshooting" so to speak

Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:56 am

ducky wrote:Wolly. As I stated in my pm in reply to the warning you gave me for that post mentioning the recent policing being a bit "strong" There is a fine line between moderating effectively, letting threads run rampant and shutting down discussion. The mix here was very good for a long time. Your moderation had been great for a long time. It started to get a bit strong so I questioned it and received a forum warning for my troubles.

It is very easy to dismiss negative feedback as being a personal attack. But that is not the case here. Honest feedback both positive and negative is a gift. It is better to air issues and nip them in the bud then to let them fester and worsen.
So stopping the name calling and threats of violence abit strong.??

No if you wanted to give me feedback you could have done it by messaging me, instead you deliberately choose to make your feed back public.
No you want to stir things up, that was your aim.

As you haven;t seemed to notice that some of the threads that I initially locked are now unlocked.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:58 pm

rb85 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:Do what needs to be done Phil.

I am now more content watching the fireworks. Now this carp topic is getting interesting. I need more popcorn.
What's your view on the carp subject?
Are you dangling a bait hoping i will bite?

For as long as they will not mutate and invade the salt water, i rather watch the fireworks than disturb electrons to air my view about this slimy bugger.

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:03 pm

BIG GAV wrote: it's a shame having to kill big breeders of any species but natives get top priority with me any day of the week!

One angler cannot make a difference I believe fisheries n the local angling community need to promote carp fishing a hell of a lot more to reduce numbers! They are here to stay but we can still try n fix what we can in the process!
Carp born and hatched in australia from many generations of carp are australian citizens can be considered "natives" :rofl:

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:07 pm

MORE POPCORN AND DRINKS PLEASE!!

this is becoming interesting. From carp to moderating to eggs counting then banning? I wonder if someone will be canned before this topic gets locked. LOL

Return to “Other Species”