Does anglers killing carp make any difference?

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Re: Does anglers killing carp make any difference?

Post by Bayrock » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:46 am

"While it is good to have a moral compass against killing a fish not destined for consumption you have to consider the morality of not killing them when you consider the amount of harm they do to the environment and in particular our wonderful native fish.

Native fish deserve to be looked after over any discomfort we feel about killing carp."

Well herein lies the rub.

In spite of the presence of carp as always we are seeing a resurgence in native species. I think whilst carp may have played a small role in the deterioration of natives the main issues were mismanagement of waterways and pollution, as well as fishing/killing pressure in the case of the Murray cod. With aggressive restocking and emphasis now on catch and release natives are making a stunning comeback.

If we look at other countries where carp have been introduced they live in harmony with natives. In some cases we can even see carnivorous natives flourish with the introduction of another food source. In many cases overseas the lakes where they are present in numbers are crystal clear. The assertion that they produce muddy water and erode banks is questionable. The causes for this phenomenon is more likely interference with waterways and resulting erosion.

I think with proper management fishing for large carp can be sustainable, but the small ones need to be removed as the biomass is unbalanced. This will be difficult in river systems but in lakes can certainly be achieved.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:54 am

ducky wrote:s for policing the thread wolly, it has been a bit over the top recently? Locking threads that werent out of control because you don't agree with the discussion/topic is a bit over the top and has a negative effect on the forum.
Dear Ducky, Boonanza, Barra Mick, Mazman, GTS Hoon,

I truly apologise that I didn't check with you and ask your permission, to act in my role as moderator, So if you could give me your numbers and I'll call you to ask you for your ideas and opinions before I act as a moderator and your permission.

Not one single one of you messaged me to ask me why I choose to lock the threads, instead you choose to make this public and personal.

Now you claim that there was no reason.

The Bag limits for charter boats, was just and effort to rubbish charter operators and cause antagonism.

The Media release Outrage Calamari thieves

"yes we agree bring back the death penalty."
"Chain a 20kg weight to their ankles and into the rip they go".
"Squid jigs up their ar$es for all of them I say"
"Make a nice burley slick and put em out on drum lines."

I don't believe threats of violence is acceptable either against members of this forum or alleged perpetrators breaking the law.

Nor do I believe that name calling, using words like idiot, moron, retard are acceptable either.

Now I wondered when I started this who would be the first one to fire a shot a me. Well congratulations Ducky you won! :banana: :notworthy:
And it didn't take long for the lynch mob to join in.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:06 am

Dont blame the moderation, blame the members who casually use throw away Lynch mob style insults. They just start an escalation away from any useful discussion, and inhibit others from joining in

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:16 am

Bayrock

I have, in fact, been one of those that has suggested carp have been in part responsible for the recovery of one or two species of native fish - and that carp are not totally to blame for the decline in native fish populations. The positive impact of carp on Murray cod and trout cod in some areas was primarily through carp reducing redfin populations. However, many native fish species are still in decline with carp playing a significant role. Is there a huge recovery in catfish populations, for example? No. Populations collapsed in areas such as the Riverina with the arrival of carp. And there is a plethora of small native fish species facing extinction in many areas due to habitat changes caused by carp. Google Murray hardyhead to learn more, for example.

Stocking fish costs a lot of money - it is much better to have naturally recruiting fisheries - and it sometimes doesn't work or at least is not cost effective. While carp provide food to adult cod and golden perch whatever benefit that may be is outweighed by the competition between the larvae when they hatch from their eggs. This competition is significant particularly for fish with small larvae such as golden perch etc.

Your argument about stocking can be in part countered by the fact that the competition for food reduces the effectiveness of stocking, survival rates and the growth.

But above all I remember what billabongs and swamps were like before carp arrived. The aquatic vegetation was amazing - they were all fringed with ribbon weed. Having seen the before and after effects of carp on the environment I love leaves me in little doubt about the merit of removing carp.

Truedogz

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:21 am

Do what needs to be done Phil.

I am now more content watching the fireworks. Now this carp topic is getting interesting. I need more popcorn.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:29 am

Fish-cador wrote:Do what needs to be done Phil.

I am now more content watching the fireworks. Now this carp topic is getting interesting. I need more popcorn.
What's your view on the carp subject?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:41 am

Fish-cador wrote:Do what needs to be done Phil.

Better watch your weight :a_goodjob: :cheers:

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 am

In order of Harmful non natives. (Purely Based on Aggresive Piscevorous feeding)
-redfin
-trout
-carp

Shouldn't redfin be declared a noxious species as well? Isnt that what NSW does?
Kill all the carp and the redfin .

Why do Trout get preferential treatment?

Valid questions from an outsiders perspective, considering I have been in Australia for only about 3 years.
When I am asked to kill 1 non native species while there are active stocking projects for the other non natives.
It made me question the logic behind the whole thing.

I love the native fish here and working with NFA has made me see them in a new light.
Pretty much fish for them exclusively now.

Take any local suburban lake, they are filled with the pests. Hypothetically, responsible angling kills all the carp. But is there a contingency plan to restock them with natives?? Even if we do , wont the redfin eat fingerlings? or will the stocked trout do that job for them?
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 am

But to Answer the Main question.

Every carp counts and needs to be removed.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:21 am

Carp causing Muddy water because of their feeding patterns is I think a little stretched.

Mining erosion would be a more primary cause .

Return to “Other Species”