Alpine Protein

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Queasy

Alpine Protein

Post by Queasy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Just before Xmas I was up in Victoria's Alpine National Park, having walked in a couple of hrs from the car and camped in our regular spot by this delightful stream - without fishing tackle of any description:
IMG_6049.JPG
IMG_6049.JPG (179.59 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
I was surprised by the number and size of many of the trout able to be spotted actively feeding during the day, both well above levels I've previously encountered in almost 20 years visiting the valley. So naturally when I return for a few days last weekend, I pack a rod. And net. And tackle. To be able to bring a full size rod and assortment of lures was something I couldn't really manage until relatively recently when I began using a rickshaw to lug everything in and out with. Whereas before I was limited to carrying one backpack, now I could roll in with 3!
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG (154.06 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Anyway, I walk in on the Saturday arvo, have a quick look for some of the bigger fish I'd seen earlier in the season but no cigar, so set up my tent and take a brief walk up the valley until it gets too dark to see, then return to camp to await the arrival of the archer. He stumbles into camp around 10pm, sets up his tent, we have a quick feed and I set my alarm for 6.00 am. Next morning, I get up, refreshed, at 10.00 am. Make breakfast - muesli topped with a freshly picked in season blackberries which were a half expected bonus. I take a stroll upstream to see if there is any fishable water nearby, I find one deepish pool about 100m upstream which is guarded by a copperhead:
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG (190.25 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
With a little prompting it makes tracks, but I see no fish activity in the pool, so return to camp for a leisurely coffee and lunch and depart on an early afternoon walk in search of sambar deer. I trip up and stupidly fall over a log while clambering up a spur, get up and brush myself off, take 3 paces and have to sidestep another copperhead. Damn things are everywhere! But 2.5hrs after departing camp I roll a sambar hind, and the rest of the day is spent recovering and hanging the truly free range red meat.
Monday comes and I finally crack open the tackle box on the walk back to the car. I had seen one rising on the previous trip in a pool downstream from camp so head down that way armed with a brown trout coloured rapala. Sneaking into position but fishing blind the first cast is a mess but the second lands right where I want it and I hook, catch & release a rainbow just under a pound:
IMG_0071-001.JPG
IMG_0071-001.JPG (192.3 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
A few more casts in that pool and one a little upstream from it both produce hits but I drop both. I continue on out to another pool which while looking inviting yields nothing:
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG (137.94 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
At the next spot I explore, I think I see what looks like could be a longer and deeper pool than any other I have found in the stream.
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG (186.9 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
It takes some scrambling to get to but sure enough the water is dark and I make a few exploratory casts near the run in. Nothing for the first few then suddenly a shape dashes by the rapala. I continue to move downstream and again I see what is now most certainly a rainbow making passes but not taking the lure. I consider a lure change but perservere, and sure enough I am rewarded with a solid hookup and land another rainbow.
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG (155.26 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
I decide to keep this one for dinner the following evening, then end the brief but action filled session as I must get back to home to refrigerate the 40 odd kilos of venison. Will aim to do it again soon, but with the fly tackle next time.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Alpine Protein

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Ripper read great stuff and nice fish

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:22 am

Great trip and pics ! ... but you lost me at the copper heads... no way I'll be heading that way :o_0:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:22 am

Nice report mate with some great pics :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:22 am

Great report, photos & a beautiful spot to camp, good to see you took the fishing tackle with you this time too.. :water:

well done on catching a few trout and fresh fish for tea.. doesn't get any better than that.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:36 am

Great report mate, some and some nice trout :water:

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:41 am

That's why I'm iffy about going for a hunt in summer. Usually leave the deer till winter and go for pigs and goats in NSW during summer.

Ripper read and very jealous of your fresh venison.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:18 am

Nude up wrote:Ripper read great stuff and nice fish
X2

Gra

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:08 pm

hornet wrote:Great trip and pics ! ... but you lost me at the copper heads... no way I'll be heading that way :o_0:
Kadmium wrote:That's why I'm iffy about going for a hunt in summer. Usually leave the deer till winter and go for pigs and goats in NSW during summer.
Gaiters provide excellent protection up to the knees from snakes and I wear them religiously even around camp. Of course they don't help you much if you fall on one as I nearly did. One of my near misses was when crawling backwards out of a dome tent one morning and there was a red bellied black right outside the door, nearly got bitten on the arse. But then the things can turn up almost anytime (I've seen them down here from August to May) and anywhere - almost trod on this one with thongs while stepping out of the motel with a load of washing last September. No problem hunting pigs and goats for variety tho!
rbb.jpg
meppstas wrote:Great report, photos & a beautiful spot to camp, good to see you took the fishing tackle with you this time too.. :water:
Yeah regretted the decision not to pack a rod in December for the past two months, and seeing you catch sooo many trout on lures gave me some inspiration!

Thanks for reading everyone! Was good too see fish in good health and numbers.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Nude up wrote:Ripper read great stuff and nice fish
I will second that!!!

Return to “Other Species”