Carp - The most popular freshwater table fish in the world

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Nuscani

Re: Carp - The most popular freshwater table fish in the world

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:56 pm

mingle wrote:With you 100% on this, great post...

I've eaten carp a few times. The first time (cooked by a Yugoslavian couple, back in 1983) tasted amazing. Had it deep-fried as cutlets and also in a fish-stew - also fantastic.

Many years later I tried cooking (shallow-frying) one that I hauled out of the Thompson River - tasted like a plateful of mud-flavoured porridge!

So it must be in the preparation...

Mike.
Nuscani wrote:
skronkman wrote:I haven't tried to eat one so I can't say. I haven't targeted them since I was a kid. I also don't like killing for the sake of it and try to return any fish to the water if I dont have a use for it however I believe it is illegal to return carp to the water. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It is illegal, however the law is not always morally right, an example is the carp culling law. Life should never be put to waste, especially when there are so many uses for it. It is simply a shame and a waste that caught carp are left on the banks on rivers to perish, when so many things can be done with it. And if you can't be bothered turning it into a meal or whatever than just feed it to your pets.
Indeed it is the preparation. A key aspect of it is once the Carp is removed from the water it must be put straight onto ice to stop the stress affecting the meat. An only the white parts of the fillet you can eat not the bloody parts. This video goes into further detail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gi0dYjbrJs

Enjoy mate :thumbsup:

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 pm

greggo wrote:Four of my suburban Carp fishing spots have been closed down over the last 2 years. It's because of rednecks catching Carp, caving it's head in and leaving them on the banks to rot. These are places where families walk nearby. Little kids running around coming across a smashed, rotten Carp, they complain and get the lakes shut for fishing.

If you're going to kill them, take them away and dispose of the carcass.
Do whatever you want mate, I want them dead so we can have some native species back in our creeks. My post was just suggesting other things to do with carp once dead.

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:05 pm

bowl wrote:
Nuscani wrote:CARP - The most popular freshwater table fish in the world

Carp are a pest that have invaded freshwater creeks such as Gardiners Creek and many others. When most people catch Carp they simply kill it and leave it on the bank to rot, because releasing it is not an option to to the law. Most Australians see it as a pest, however in Europe and Asia statistically if you offered someone a beautiful rainbow trout and a carp, most would pick the Carp. That is not what it is like in Australia because hate it because we know nothing about its value.

USES

Food
It is obviously used for eating as it is the most popular freshwater table fish in the world, yet when it is not killed correctly it is known to taste like mud. The same goes with Gummy Sharks and Salmon, if not killed correctly it tastes terrible. Carp tastes terrible unless it is instantly be put on ice as soon as it is out of the water.

Leather
Its tough skin is used to make leather for keychains, handbags and other small leather items.

Eggs
Female carp eggs are used to make 'carp row caviar', a delicacy in Europe.

Manure
Carp are grounded down and are the primary ingredient in manure companies such as 'Charlie Carp' and several others.

I believe that wasting any life is wrong, including the life of Carp, which is why I believe that anyone who fishes for Carp if they want to use them for eating should bring an esky with ice and take as many as you want home with you and cook them up with some flour, salt and pepper or make leather from their skin or whatever you want to do with them.

Every carp fisherman please watch this video on how to eat carp and other uses for carp,

and read this article by 'The Sydney Morning Herald' as it explains how and why carp is the most popular freshwater fish in the world.
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/anima ... 33b99.html

If you cant beat them, eat them
Thought u were taking the p1ss.
Sarcastic post when I first read it.

Dont really give a stuff how much the euros ect like it
Good for you mate, I'm just giving suggestions that people can do with the carp they catch and kill. :thumbsup:

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Nuscani

I kill carp as quickly as I can and in all but the small waterways I return the carcass to the water - and it is not a waste. Why?

European carp are a major aquatic competitor of native fish and other aquatic organisms. In some places they make up a high proportion of the total biomass in the waterway. As such they are removing nutrients from the aquatic ecosystem that would otherwise be available to the native fish and animals. By returning the carcass to the water the body is consumed by yabbies, shrimps, detritivores, etc recycling those nutrients and returning them to the ecosystem.

So in this case it is not a waste as you put it but is in effect in part restoring the balance.

I do feel sorry for carp and try to deal with them humanely - but I feel even more sorry for our native fish. We created the problem, carp did not chose to come here. Carp are one of the most important food fish on the planet but a lot of that is due to the ease at which they can be cultured, ability to proliferate in waterways etc. Straight out of the water many other fish are better eating without the preparation that carp requires. I have European friends who prepare carp and to get the best out of them requires more than chilling. Australia is blessed with many superb tablefish which makes us lazy - we are not really into extensively preparing fish for the table.

By all means take them, cook them, feed them to pets. You are quite correct to advocate that, which is from a human moral perspective. But we also must look at it from what is best for the ecology. If people do not have a use for them they must be killed and unless the waterbody is small, such as a creek or small lakes, where the bodies might cause too much pollution then return the carcass. In effect you are taking from the rich and giving it back to the poor.

I don't like seeing them left on the bank but even in this case the nutrients eventually get back to the ecosystem - but as some have indicated around small ornamental lakes the carp can be viewed as litter and put anglers in a negative light.

But by law they must be killed and morally, when you look at their environmental impact, I would say again they must be killed.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:09 pm

drew 2 wrote:Some convenient editings there :thumbsup:
I should have quoted you first up then the c&r bit would have still been there ;-)
You my friend, and a few others like you are why i dont bother posting much on here anymore.
Did you edit out the bit about watch what i say too :-D
:rofl: nah mate the watch what you say bit is still there :rofl:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:19 pm

:thumbsup:
Nuscani wrote:
bowl wrote:
Nuscani wrote:CARP - The most popular freshwater table fish in the world

Carp are a pest that have invaded freshwater creeks such as Gardiners Creek and many others. When most people catch Carp they simply kill it and leave it on the bank to rot, because releasing it is not an option to to the law. Most Australians see it as a pest, however in Europe and Asia statistically if you offered someone a beautiful rainbow trout and a carp, most would pick the Carp. That is not what it is like in Australia because hate it because we know nothing about its value.

USES

Food
It is obviously used for eating as it is the most popular freshwater table fish in the world, yet when it is not killed correctly it is known to taste like mud. The same goes with Gummy Sharks and Salmon, if not killed correctly it tastes terrible. Carp tastes terrible unless it is instantly be put on ice as soon as it is out of the water.

Leather
Its tough skin is used to make leather for keychains, handbags and other small leather items.

Eggs
Female carp eggs are used to make 'carp row caviar', a delicacy in Europe.

Manure
Carp are grounded down and are the primary ingredient in manure companies such as 'Charlie Carp' and several others.

I believe that wasting any life is wrong, including the life of Carp, which is why I believe that anyone who fishes for Carp if they want to use them for eating should bring an esky with ice and take as many as you want home with you and cook them up with some flour, salt and pepper or make leather from their skin or whatever you want to do with them.

Every carp fisherman please watch this video on how to eat carp and other uses for carp,

and read this article by 'The Sydney Morning Herald' as it explains how and why carp is the most popular freshwater fish in the world.
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/anima ... 33b99.html

If you cant beat them, eat them
Thought u were taking the p1ss.
Sarcastic post when I first read it.

Dont really give a stuff how much the euros ect like it
Good for you mate, I'm just giving suggestions that people can do with the carp they catch and kill. :thumbsup:[/quote

:thumbsup:

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Truedogz wrote:Nuscani

I kill carp as quickly as I can and in all but the small waterways I return the carcass to the water - and it is not a waste. Why?

European carp are a major aquatic competitor of native fish and other aquatic organisms. In some places they make up a high proportion of the total biomass in the waterway. As such they are removing nutrients from the aquatic ecosystem that would otherwise be available to the native fish and animals. By returning the carcass to the water the body is consumed by yabbies, shrimps, detritivores, etc recycling those nutrients and returning them to the ecosystem.

So in this case it is not a waste as you put it but is in effect in part restoring the balance.

I do feel sorry for carp and try to deal with them humanely - but I feel even more sorry for our native fish. We created the problem, carp did not chose to come here. Carp are one of the most important food fish on the planet but a lot of that is due to the ease at which they can be cultured, ability to proliferate in waterways etc. Straight out of the water many other fish are better eating without the preparation that carp requires. I have European friends who prepare carp and to get the best out of them requires more than chilling. Australia is blessed with many superb tablefish which makes us lazy - we are not really into extensively preparing fish for the table.

By all means take them, cook them, feed them to pets. You are quite correct to advocate that, which is from a human moral perspective. But we also must look at it from what is best for the ecology. If people do not have a use for them they must be killed and unless the waterbody is small, such as a creek or small lakes, where the bodies might cause too much pollution then return the carcass. In effect you are taking from the rich and giving it back to the poor.

I don't like seeing them left on the bank but even in this case the nutrients eventually get back to the ecosystem - but as some have indicated around small ornamental lakes the carp can be viewed as litter and put anglers in a negative light.

But by law they must be killed and morally, when you look at their environmental impact, I would say again they must be killed.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
I completely agree with you mate, especially with the preparation part. I also agree with you on how it gives back to the environment. I just don't like taking a life and leaving it to perish, even though i have done that when I was uninformed of the uses of Carp. My post was simply to inform people of the uses of carp so that maybe the next time they catch a carp they will think twice about just leaving it there.

Thanks for your input mate, had no idea about that ecosystem part before i read your post.

Good Luck with future fishing. :thumbsup:

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:18 pm

It is unnatural for a wild animal to be killed humanly. Natures predators do no euthanize their prey they just rip them apart

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:35 pm

laneends wrote:It is unnatural for a wild animal to be killed humanly. Natures predators do no euthanize their prey they just rip them apart
Thanks for your input mate, but his topic is about uses for carp, not killing them humanly.

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:48 pm

I simply bury them in the vegetable garden, lots of nutrients for the soil.

Return to “Other Species”