Ghost drag and Redfin at Jubilee

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
PDXSerric

Ghost drag and Redfin at Jubilee

Post by PDXSerric » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Gathered the troupe and headed out to Lake Jubilee in Daylesford to take advantage of the first warm morning for a while. Redfin breaching everywhere... but no bites. Made worse that,a s I have braided line and did not put on backer line, I had a bad case of ghost drag and my rod was useless this trip.

For those who don't know, ghost drag is when your line slips off your reel regardless of whatever drag you have set because it doesn't "bite". Braided line is apparently nefarious with this so a word to the wise: if you want to use braid put about 1/4 reel of mono on first then use a blood knot and tie on your braid... this should avoid the issue in the future.

Good lesson to learn. Wish I knew it before I put the braid on lol.

Anyway, ended up with one fish (using the bro's rod while he had a smoke). Caught a nice reddie on a tassie devil. It struck just as I was about to lift the lure out of the water, 2 feet from me. Good times.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Ghost drag and Redfin at Jubilee

Post by Lightningx » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:27 pm

Nice Redfin mate. Good stuff :thumbsup:

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:33 pm

a few wraps of mono will do, no need for 1/4 spool. or use a layer of electrical tape for the braid to bite

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:12 am

Could have respooled the reel while you were watching everyone else catch fish?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:26 am

Basti wrote:a few wraps of mono will do, no need for 1/4 spool. or use a layer of electrical tape for the braid to bite
yep spot on
few winds of the handle with mono line is all you need.
or use electrical tape or the clear sticky tape on the spool prior to winding braid on.

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:40 am

Tonyzee wrote:Could have respooled the reel while you were watching everyone else catch fish?
Could have? Yes. Felt like it? No. LOL Knowing that the Bro-in-law would break for smokos and my wife would "get tired" I had plenty of rods to use.

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 am

purple5ive wrote:
Basti wrote:a few wraps of mono will do, no need for 1/4 spool. or use a layer of electrical tape for the braid to bite
yep spot on
few winds of the handle with mono line is all you need.
or use electrical tape or the clear sticky tape on the spool prior to winding braid on.
Yeah, that's exactly what I did last night. Put on enouigh mono to cover the spinnerette then tied on my braid with a blood knot. Should be fine now...

On a side note, we noticed a lot of reddies breaching the surface but only that one took the lure... has anyone tried poppers or another surface lure? I was thinking of using soft plastics and burley next time... I've heard that floud, bread and strawberry essence mixed with water seems to get their interest. Anyone have any luck with something like that?

Return to “Other Species”