Grayling

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Grayling

Post by Whiskers » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:51 pm

One of my sons and his friend were fishing a a West Gippsland location today when my sons friend caught a fish he couldn't identify.

I was quite excited to receive an email from him with a photo attached. The fish he caught was a Grayling. It's not often that they get caught. So good to see a Grayling in the local area again. :)
Attachments
grayling.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Grayling

Post by Lightningx » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:57 pm

Nice :thumbsup:

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:05 pm

They are a lot more common than what people think. There are stacks in the Bunyip, Tarrago and Barwon and sometimes in rivers like the Mitchell and Tambo individual schools can have a hundred fish. As a bycatch they can be fun when fly fishing for trout in some of those streams.

A few are turning up in the Yarra too since the fishway was put in at Dight's Falls.

Quite a handsome fish with their bronze sheen. To some people, they smell like freshly cut cucumber and in the past were sometimes known as 'cucumber herring'. Most fish seem to be about 15 to 20 cm long and a whopper is 30 cm.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks Truedogz, I've personally never caught one. It was good to see my sons mate catch it as he hasn't been fishing for too long and has struggled at times to catch anything (other than carp).

I've been having a read upon them and it does seem that some streams have fair numbers of them.
:)

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:13 pm

Truedogz wrote:They are a lot more common than what people think. There are stacks in the Bunyip, Tarrago and Barwon and sometimes in rivers like the Mitchell and Tambo individual schools can have a hundred fish. As a bycatch they can be fun when fly fishing for trout in some of those streams.

A few are turning up in the Yarra too since the fishway was put in at Dight's Falls.

Quite a handsome fish with their bronze sheen. To some people, they smell like freshly cut cucumber and in the past were sometimes known as 'cucumber herring'. Most fish seem to be about 15 to 20 cm long and a whopper is 30 cm.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Cucumber is one taste, that I get to taste at least 2 days after I eat one, so I am not a fan of the cucumber flavour

Return to “Other Species”