First Tench Of The Spring

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Tinca

Re: First Tench Of The Spring

Post by Tinca » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:10 am

Thanks for the comments guys.

Whiskers, 8lb is very impressive, I'd be wrapped with that. I have seen photos of one that size caught at lake Wallace in Edenhope before it dried up but have never seen one in the flesh. I have fished the river at Jeparit and caught so many carp that i doubt tench would be able to compete now which is a shame.

Steve_h

Post by Steve_h » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:40 am

That's a cracking specimen Tinca. I haven't caught a tench in over 20 years, but they're still one of my favourite fish.

And good on you for catch and release, too many people kill these without knowing anything about them.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Whiskers, do they put up much of a fight? Do you bait fish for them or lure? Healthy specimen there!
quid est quod eum

Redzia90

Post by Redzia90 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:11 pm

dezza68 wrote:Thats a clonker, used to love catching them, bit of float fished corn beside the lilly pads. Never even thought of trying for them here. I haven't fished freshwater much as dont want to have to kill the carp. Especially when I think how much time and money I spent chasing them in the uk.
I know that feeling haha . All that money on 3 rod set ups , delkims and bivvys

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:32 pm

ratbag wrote:Whiskers, do they put up much of a fight? Do you bait fish for them or lure? Healthy specimen there!
Tench fight hard and know exactly where the lilly and weed beds are, especially the males. Once they get that big paddle tail going it's a case of hanging on for the ride!

Tench fishing is bait fishing. The only way you'll get one on a lure is if you foul hook one.
:water:

marckyg123

Post by marckyg123 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Where about to you catch tench??

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:06 pm

That's a great fish. Both Whiskers and Tinca. Never tried Tench fishing before but may have to keep it in the memory bank for the future.

Question - Would you find carp and Tench in the same spots? What do you look for when finding a fishy Tench spot?
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Tinca

Post by Tinca » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi Kadmium,
i only just saw your post. I find that tench don't thrive where carp are present; they my co-inhabit areas but in my experience tench numbers decrease as carp numbers increase. When picking a spot for tench i would say that lots of weed is essential and i have often done well in very clear water. Early morning generally outfishes any other time of day.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 pm

So like an early morning lillypad infested area? Any spots you mind giving a rough pointer to out south east way?
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Tinca

Post by Tinca » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:35 pm

Yes, that certainly sounds worth a go. I live in South Australia 15 mins from the Vic South West border so do all my fishing around there. I rarely venture past Hamilton. If you get to a spot at first light and tench are in there they often give their presence away by rolling on the surface or making masses of small bubbles.

Return to “Other Species”