Wendouree trout 19/7

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Wendouree trout 19/7

Post by mazman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:51 am

Hey guys,
A quick report from my facebook page.
Made the long trek over to Lake Wendouree today. Conditions were close to ideal for fishing in, but far from what I look for when it comes to catching, but I wasn’t going to let this deter me. I peddled across to the first bank I wanted to work, set up my drift, stood up and begun casting. About 100m into my drift there was a gold flash behind the bent minnow, followed by another. This trout followed the bent right up to the kayak before returning to the weedy depths it emerged from. Right at the end of this drift another trout appeared behind the bent, took a swipe at it and missed. I briefly paused the retrieve, gave it a couple of sharp twitches and bang I was on, the momentum from the take launched the fish straight into the air and the moment it was back in the water it was jumping, this continual jumping continued for the rest of the fight, with the trout almost landing in the kayak at one point. Somehow the trebles stayed in and I netted the trout, the smallest brown I’ve seen at Wendouree so far but still a solid trout nonetheless.
I continued working various weed beds and channels between them but couldn’t elicit a strike. Finally I had grown tired of working the edges so I moved into the lanes to troll for a bit. This train of thought didn’t last long with the allure of another trout on surface teasing me. I had one last area I wanted to try and 3 casts into my drift my suspicions were confirmed, I hooked up to a large trout but the fight was incredibly short lived as the hooks popped out after one headshake. I finished fishing this drift but all I could manage was a half-hearted swipe at the bent. The end of my drift signalled the end of my trip too, I packed up and started the long trip home.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Wendouree trout 19/7

Post by barra mick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:10 am

Nice report

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Well done mate yet to catch my first brown from there as I'm land based but I have seen some monsters caught.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:05 pm

Marty.A wrote:Well done mate yet to catch my first brown from there as I'm land based but I have seen some monsters caught.
Definitely tough Land based but I've hooked a few the trouble is landing the big fellas over the weed beds
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Post by samjas1316 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks for the report. Been meaning to give that place a go in the next few weeks.

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Nice trout mate, good job bro! :)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Great report I remember years ago when my kids were little we used to take the kids to the adventure playground western end I would set up the bbq and fish the bank there with worms and mud eye caught a few nice fish but best of all everybody was happy misses and the kids

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Nice report mate.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:18 pm

Nice work man. Didn't realise that you had that many follows.

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:00 am

I love fishing Wendoree but when the wind blows it can be a harsh cold place in winter. Looks like you scored a good day. Well done.

Return to “Other Species”