Emerald and Don lakes

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Emerald and Don lakes

Post by skronkman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:26 pm

Thought I'd have a crack at the local stocked lakes yesterday and today.
Emerald lake was total chaos, at least 10 fishos there, a million tourists hopping on and off Puffing Billy and up to 5 paddle boats plying the lake. I made about 20 casts with a rapala and just couldn't be bothered. It wasn't peaceful, it was annoying. I saw one young fella and his mum catch a decent pan size rainbow on bait but that was it. Asked a few other fishos and no one was having a great deal of luck however I was told that at dusk and dawn there are a couple of old fly fisherman that come down and take home upwards of 20 fish at a time (scumbags). So it seems that they are biting well but only when the lake is quiet and dusk/dawn seems the hot time.

Went to Don lake today, had the place to myself for the first 2 hours. Very peaceful. Was onto bites very quickly using power bait. Picked up on small rainbow and returned him. Missed about another 10 bites because I was too busy playing with my phone and generally not paying attention. 2 kids rocked up and fished 20 meters away and scored 4 fish in the first 10 mins on what looked like a yellow mepps spinner. Damn it. A few others turned up and they all caught at least a couple of fish. One other guy was also using power bait. I tried canned corn on my hook but no takers. Tried to burly with the corn but all that did was attract the bloody ducks to my fishing spot. Tried flicking a tassie and an assortment of diving lures but I couldn't replicate that kids abilities. Just before heading home I hooked another fish on power bait and gave it away.

Both fish were caught on power bait and using a black magic whiting circle hook. Hooked themselves.

I was experimenting with rigs to keep the bait just off the bottom (away from weed, etc.) but it seems that a simple running sinker was the best as it caught both fish.

Return to “Other Species”