Strathbogie

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Mutley and Scruffy

Re: Strathbogie

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:11 am

poodoo wrote:..................

Nice man! You looked excited !
Not exited...more so how much of a joke the little **** of a fish was!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:17 am

Mutley and Scruffy wrote:
poodoo wrote:..................

Nice man! You looked excited !
Not exited...more so how much of a joke the little sh*t of a fish was!
You forgot to mention how well those Banana Shock Sp's worked, ;-) cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:30 pm

It breaks my heart seeing those pics.

Once upon a time there was a magnificent fishery in that creek, cared for by local people. It was unique, now it is steadily being over run by redfin.

I suppose now there is a least something to fish for.

We have lost something very special - the last of its kind - destroyed by sheer bloody-mindedness and mismanagement.

Truedogz

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Truedogz wrote:It breaks my heart seeing those pics.

Once upon a time there was a magnificent fishery in that creek, cared for by local people. It was unique, now it is steadily being over run by redfin.

I suppose now there is a least something to fish for.

We have lost something very special - the last of its kind - destroyed by sheer bloody-mindedness and mismanagement.

Truedogz
Some of it is still being looked after! You just can't fish there!
cheers
Jim
https://strathbogierangesnatureview.wor ... ks-gooram/

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:54 pm

Jim

It is really not being looked after and is in decline, even in that area. Once the redfin get that far downstream it might be the end of it. What is down there once was in the area you fished.

Truedogz

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Truedogz wrote:Jim

It is really not being looked after and is in decline, even in that area. Once the redfin get that far downstream it might be the end of it. What is down there once was in the area you fished.

Truedogz
It sounded like they were there already! It does state that they (the surveyors) were removing pest species such as carp and redfin, unless that was in the Hughes Creek. Do you think the trout cod would not hold if the redfin were there? I always had the idea that redfin were unstoppable. Until my favorite redfin spot (local channel) was taken over by cod, likely stocked from the Goulburn and passed through the channel system. The cod decimated the redfin in there...I can't get a redfin now! Of course I am not complaining. Unless of course some other event wiped out the redfin...then the cod moved in. Can't think of anything myself...do you have any ideas?
cheers
Jim

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Jim

There were no redfin upstream of the Gooram Falls until 2004. They were illegally released into Polly McQuinns Weir around 2004 - probably as partial payback to government agencies for their behaviour and probably also to create some sort of a recreational fishery as nothing existed near bogie. Locals had been promised the first recreational fishery for trout cod in Polly McQuinns Weir and the government reneged. How the locals were treated was absolutely appalling - given the fact that they established the populations of trout cod and Macquarie perch upstream of Gooram Falls, fought the government to get trout cod recognised as a different species to Murray cod, set up ponds to breed them, and then asked the fisheries department to close the creek to fishing to protect them. I won't go into more detail.

As to the impact of redfin a large body of evidence indicates they have a very severe impact on native fish. Yes, cod and yellas will eat redfin, but it seems over time that redfin can get the upper hand. Macquarie perch have disappeared from the upper Seven Creeks since the redfin were released.

Redfin have declined dramatically in many areas since the arrival of European carp and that decline coincided with the revival in cod numbers - the Murray River is the classic example. To me there is a real risk that when the carp virus is released is that redfin might explode again with the accompanying consequences.

Truedogz

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Good to see these Redfin taken out of Seven Creek - the few remaining Macquarie Perch need every bit of help they can get!

Return to “Other Species”