Trout lures

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Sinsemilla

Re: Trout lures

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:22 am

4liters wrote:Those Mepps thunderbug spinners look good. A bit worrying if a 2kg trout can bend the hooks on them though.
If you're worried.. A good way to stop smaller spinners getting destroyed is is to cut off the treble hook, and replace it with an owner treble and decoy/owner split ring.

The owner trebles are way stronger and by adding the split ring, gives the treble more movement so it can't twist on itself and then bend the actual wire.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:47 pm

meppstas wrote:
Lightningx wrote:That's a very nice brown trout Adrian! :thumbsup:
That brown was taken a couple of seasons ago, she was a beautiful well conditioned fish too... took me around 10 minutes before i was sure she was good enough to swim away, she did & all was good.
Releasing the PB brown, Meander River (Medium).JPG
PB 2.9kg brown, Meander River.-1 (Medium).jpg
cheers
Adrian
Thanks for the extra pics Adrian! Always like looking at your photos :) very nice thickness in the shoulders of that trout :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:51 pm

The treble does not create the wire shaft to bend at all.. if you get a black fury spinner you can move the treble hook every way you want and it does not pull or twist back to bend the wire shaft. What bends the wire shaft is when the fish takes the spinner whole, and then runs side on in the river when one's playing the fish, it's the weight of the fish against the wire shaft that bends it. It has nothing to do with the treble hooks at all. The small lures all have thin wire shafts as this is just one of the reasons they're a light weight 1.5 gm lure. All one has to do is go up a size or two and there's no problems when a large fish takes the spinner. Yes put owner or heavy trebles on if you want to, but that won't stop the shaft from bending, even owner hooks bend. The attached photo is off a straightened hook on my black fury, the trout had only been hooked on the trebles, it straighten one and got away but there was no damage to the thin wire shaft. That little spinner had also caught well over thirty trout as well.
Trout lost after straightening hook. Mersey River. (Small).JPG
Hook straightened by large brown..
Trout lost after straightening hook. Mersey River. (Small).JPG (78.99 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:55 pm

It moves freely yes but not as freely as it does with a split ring. and the way the wire is straight to the hook means if the lure is twisted, once it twists around and hits the hook again it can twist the hook out.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm sorry if im confusing.. I'm not just talking about straightening hooks. I know that can't really be helped with bigger fish and small hooks.
I'm more talking about a fish that's jumping around and all sorts and can sometimes get all twisted up. Which in that case the split ring gives a bit more movement between the treble and the wire.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Well I don't have a real lot of lures that get damaged, it's just the odd one every now and then, maybe three or four over a 9 month trout season. If it was continually happening I would just stay use the next size up any way.. I can see you point & what you mean..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:51 pm

That's fair enough. It's more for those times the bigger trout/fish are taking only small lures. I like upgrading trebles/split rings on most my lures. I've never straightened a treble or bent up a lure once i started changing them.

I fish a lot for bigger salmon in the rip out of a boat also and sometimes they are feeding on tiny white bait and will only take really small metals (10 grams or less) and the trebles just don't last 2 seconds on 3-4kg salmon. After upgrading i have been able to land salmon of this size with trebles you would find on a size 0 spinner while still giving them a bit of stick. Small decoy singles work a treat also.

drewb

Post by drewb » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:08 am

Most of my trout fishing is done around Buxton/Noojee in the reasonably shallow freestone rivers. I prefer floating lures so I can control the depth and let them rise over snags. Favourite lures are:

Rapala F5 in Brook Trout or Juvenile Rainbow.
Rapala CD5 in Spotted Dog.
Yo Zuri 50mm Pins Minnow in Brown Trout.
Strike Tiger 1" Nymph in black.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:34 am

Seen a couple of people say they like those black nymph lures, how do you work them? Unweighted and just let them drift down the current? How do they go in lakes?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

troutandbream.com

Post by troutandbream.com » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:22 pm

One of my river lure boxes.
Ecogear MX 48.
Rapala CD-01
Duo Spearheads
Jackson Trout Tunes.
Dynamic Lures HD Trout.
IMG_2441.JPG

Return to “Other Species”