Carp on fly

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Carp on fly

Post by Basti » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:24 am

After consistanly fruitless mornings on the yarra chasing cod I stumbled onto a the perfect way to save a donut. Just thought i'd share a few of my pics from the last month or so. Sugarloaf is the location and sight fishing is the game. These buggers see a heap of fishos and most are super flighty so some sneaking skills are required. my casting is still pretty atrocious so i spook about 90% of the fish i see. of the rest, about half will ignore the fly or have a good long look and straight up reject it. You can almost hear them think about it. Then there's the other 5%. these things certainly know where each and every tiny stick in the water is and head straight for it. I'm yet to crack the 65cm mark but there are some in there well above 70. good fun on 8lb tippet

my best ever session has been 6 fish hooked, two flies busted off, one hook straightened and three on the bank. the fish aren't glamourous, but bloody hell do they pull hard.

there's the pic of the flies I've used. mainly the second from left top row, and far left bottom row. These also work on the little reddies in there, but what lure/fly doesn't? I've had reddies steal the fly from in front of a carp's nose and spook everything in the process. conditions to look for are a bright sunny day and low to zero winds. they can be caught at other times but these conditions make spotting fish easier. Polaroid sunnies are essential and the fish can sometimes be right up in the shallows with backs and tails out of the water. easiest to look for the clouds of silt they kick up.

thanks for reading. probably more to come
Niroj

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Carp on fly

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:38 am

Nice effort man, thats a lot of work chasing the cod, but they are in there and just a matter of time.
ive never caught a carp before, but to get them on fly is super awsome.
cheers

Basti

Post by Basti » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:43 am

Yeah I know the cod are there, just gotta look at big gav's posts for evidence. I'll keep at it but sometimes you just want to catch a fish. Hence the carp.

You should give it a go man. I've had follows on plastics too but never hooked up. Certainly easier to cast but they land a bit heavily and can spook the fish. I snuck up on a Carp once and reached out and dropped a fly on his head using my trout rod. Hooked him but had a sparrows fart in a hurricane's chance in stopping him. Almost got spooled and could hear the rod creak from the weight.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:47 am

Certainly a lot of fun, I think next time I'll wait for half decent polaroiding conditions though.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:15 am

Great read the carp would be fun on the fly rod. Carp are prolific surface feeders just throw some cat biscuits out and watch them suck them in.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:23 am

Nice report mate :thumbsup:

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:03 am

Basti wrote:Yeah I know the cod are there, just gotta look at big gav's posts for evidence. I'll keep at it but sometimes you just want to catch a fish. Hence the carp.

You should give it a go man. I've had follows on plastics too but never hooked up. Certainly easier to cast but they land a bit heavily and can spook the fish. I snuck up on a Carp once and reached out and dropped a fly on his head using my trout rod. Hooked him but had a sparrows fart in a hurricane's chance in stopping him. Almost got spooled and could hear the rod creak from the weight.
If u wanna have a sesh sometime pm me I got quite a few spots that produce. Saying that u might only get one or two shots if u miss the strike u miss the strike but happy to help. Ive been a bit slack lately on the Yarra n I'm due to upgrade this seasons pb
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:10 am

Nice Basti!

Basti

Post by Basti » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:52 am

BIG GAV wrote:
Basti wrote:Yeah I know the cod are there, just gotta look at big gav's posts for evidence. I'll keep at it but sometimes you just want to catch a fish. Hence the carp.

If u wanna have a sesh sometime pm me I got quite a few spots that produce. Saying that u might only get one or two shots if u miss the strike u miss the strike but happy to help. Ive been a bit slack lately on the Yarra n I'm due to upgrade this seasons pb
Thanks man, I'll pm you later today

drewb

Post by drewb » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:57 pm

Check out http://flickandflyjournal.com/ if you haven't already, one of those guys fly fishes for carp in the urban creeks. Also lots of cool estuary stuff.

Return to “Other Species”