Bungies Hole - Werribee

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Bungies Hole - Werribee

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Texas wrote:Also-- Werribee has a weir in the Historical Park off Heaths Road.
Used to irrigate Werribee South.
The river upstream of the weir has been stocked in the recent past.
"Should be able to catch"--trout, redfin, estuary perch & carp.

Cheers
Gra
I fished that area about a year ago near the canoe dock area, casting various lures up and down the bank. On one of the first casts a fish followed my lure all the way back in but didnt hit it. Other than that i didnt get any hits.

Certainly worth trying again.. i always planned on taking the yak down there, but never got around to it.

PhaseScope

Post by PhaseScope » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:34 pm

G'day ladies and gents.

How are we all? Thanks for the warm welcome and sorry for the late reply.

I've been back twice now and it's still dishing out the thrills haha. The second time I went about a week ago I managed a couple hook ups but snags were the death of me. Did pull a turtle up part way - he was walking over the line. There's definitely stuff in there keen on a quick feed though. Yesterday I went down after a couple nights up near Nagambie on the river (no bites and I managed to get the wagon bogged) and we were on. Still using corn as bait but I threw a few pieces out around from where I was casting (left bank directly behind the club) and I hooked up on maybe the 4th or 5th cast. To my surprise it was a decent reddy. Now, I don't have any photo evidence as I forgot my phone at home, but this one was at the very least 30 - 35cm. I was quite a happy chap after that and didn't even really mind that I lost 2 of the lures I bought on the weekend. I'll be back down there tonight for another round I reckon.

-Marcus

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Nice report mate :) well done with the Redfin. Good luck tonight :thumbsup:

PhaseScope

Post by PhaseScope » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:14 pm

Cheers mate we'll see how we go.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:35 pm

If the snags are giving you grief you might need to tighten the drag a bit so you can haul the fish out as soon as you hook up. A stiffer rod can help too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:23 am

Went yesterday lunchtime.. lake covered in green s**t.
So went to Werribee Weir.. for Donuts.
Must have been a dozen or more others fishing above & below the weir.

Gra

PhaseScope

Post by PhaseScope » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:56 am

Yeah last night there was still a fair bit of green over the area. It had cleared a little by the bank. No hookups, just 3 or 4 good whacks. Might try the point that juts out with a bit of a "cliff". Seems like better access to clearer water. Saw a fair few fish jump though. Hopefully I can get a photo of something cool tonight. Might try the lures again as well.

-Marcus

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:04 pm

PhaseScope wrote:Yeah last night there was still a fair bit of green over the area. It had cleared a little by the bank. No hookups, just 3 or 4 good whacks. Might try the point that juts out with a bit of a "cliff". Seems like better access to clearer water. Saw a fair few fish jump though. Hopefully I can get a photo of something cool tonight. Might try the lures again as well.

-Marcus
Good luck mate :)

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:51 pm

PhaseScope wrote:Yeah last night there was still a fair bit of green over the area. It had cleared a little by the bank. No hookups, just 3 or 4 good whacks. Might try the point that juts out with a bit of a "cliff". Seems like better access to clearer water. Saw a fair few fish jump though. Hopefully I can get a photo of something cool tonight. Might try the lures again as well.

-Marcus
Hi, be carefull when casting to the left off that cliff, there are lots of snags but better than Canoe ramp
Cheers

thraze

Post by thraze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:37 am

Just diggin up an old thread seeming i google searched my nick and saw a mention of my name.

Thought I'd mention, that every year, I still see the monster carp cruising on the surface during summer... but I don't know anyone whos cracked the code to them yet... I swear it has something to do with breeding... perhaps there is a coarse fisherman on the forums?

Return to “Other Species”