Burrumbeet Creek carp slaughter!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
TrevKing

Re: Burrumbeet Creek carp slaughter!

Post by TrevKing » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:57 pm

hornet wrote:" the place has been absolutely hammered by people with landing nets, drag nets, pitchforks " I don't see why people would do that ? what am I missing ? they will die eventually, are they taken to eat or fertilize their gardens ? or just to get them out of the water way ?
People thinking they're doing the right thing, and to some extent they are, but its not really necessary. Some people enjoy it I guess. The majority of fish taken have just been left to rot or chucked back in the creek dead.

I saw an article today saying that the lake is less than a meter deep the whole way through and people are netting them in bulk, taking a couple of tonnes of fish for fertilizer. Apparently a heavy sinker and a big hook cast into the lake results in a fish being foul hooked every cast.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:08 pm

TrevKing wrote:
hornet wrote:" the place has been absolutely hammered by people with landing nets, drag nets, pitchforks " I don't see why people would do that ? what am I missing ? they will die eventually, are they taken to eat or fertilize their gardens ? or just to get them out of the water way ?
People thinking they're doing the right thing, and to some extent they are, but its not really necessary. Some people enjoy it I guess. The majority of fish taken have just been left to rot or chucked back in the creek dead.

I saw an article today saying that the lake is less than a meter deep the whole way through and people are netting them in bulk, taking a couple of tonnes of fish for fertilizer. Apparently a heavy sinker and a big hook cast into the lake results in a fish being foul hooked every cast.
I see .. I think ? each to their own I suppose ..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Jeez, even though its greath theyre getting cleared out i think its terrible they are leaving them to just suffocate like that, how hard is it for the council to just net them all out????
Imagine the outcry if people did that with any terrestrial animal!!!!!
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

jsonh

Post by jsonh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:45 am

Has anyone tried eating carp before? I mean wow that's a lot of waste protein lol.

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:46 am

You obviously were not around when mixo and 1080 were laid for rabbits, Cam. Cheers muzza43.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:09 am

Bugger the carp, let them rot.
Poor Lauchlin was not going to be allowed in the ute.
Gra

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:34 am

jsonh wrote:Has anyone tried eating carp before? I mean wow that's a lot of waste protein lol.

I dated a Hungarian lady for a while. Her family thought Euro carp were an excellent table fish. I never tried it.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:54 am

I think it's pretty average leaving rotting carp behind you. That's someones fishing spot after all. If you're going to target them you should plan for how you're going to dispose of them.

Once it went the rounds on social media it seemed it was an open invite for every half-wit to go up, indulge in some "justifiable" animal cruelty then leave the locals with the problem of a trashed spot through garbage and hundreds of rotting carp.

Lack of respect for a living fish, noxious or not, (which seems to be easily and off-handedly dealt with as "it's only carp") but also massively disrespectful to the locals.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:58 am

TrevKing wrote:......haven't been myself because I don't see the appeal but apparently the ground is now covered in dead fish and the place reeks of rotting carp.
I'm guessing you have fished there previously in the lake. If so, have you ever caught anything in their other than carp?
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:31 am

Rod Bender wrote:
TrevKing wrote:......haven't been myself because I don't see the appeal but apparently the ground is now covered in dead fish and the place reeks of rotting carp.
I'm guessing you have fished there previously in the lake. If so, have you ever caught anything in their other than carp?
cheers
Jim
Only ever caught carp there Jim but have seen a few eels and the odd reddie or rainbow come out in the past couple of years.

Return to “Other Species”