Prepping and carrying trout for the day

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Prepping and carrying trout for the day

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:03 am

Hi all,

Trout fisherman that always practices C&R, but going on a trip this upcoming weekend with a first timer that is adamant on eating anything of legal size. Since I've lost my fishing buddy, I'm keen to give my mate a good experience so he comes back for more trips.

We are going where legal size trout are not uncommon, but once in the river, taking a plate size specimen (once caught) back to camp is not an easy option - you essentially have to keep it with you until your next exit point.

Since I've never put a hit out on a fish - I was wanting some advice on what needs to be done to prep and preserve a trout that could be 8hrs away from hitting the pan? What cutting/bleeding needs to be done immediately, is being wrapped in plastic bag with a freezer pack enough to keep the flesh maintained? Any advice or experience appreciated!

Cheers /hfc

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Prepping and carrying trout for the day

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:44 am

I usually just but them in a plastic bag then into my backpack and clean them in the river/lake at the end of the session. If it's a hot day and your going to be fishing for a longtime it's probably best to clean them straight away and keep it cool.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:08 pm

I use an Ice box on the boat and a cooler bag when land based as it is very easy to carry.

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Ok cheers guys - seems like a backpack, bag, cool pack and general care will suffice. Doesn't sound like trout are overly demanding for early preparation and precaution for eating quality.

andyk

Post by andyk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:08 am

Bleed straight away for best results

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:28 pm

So to do a report back of sorts -we did eat trout! My first caught and eaten trout since picking fishing back up about 4 years ago.

Of course being in a rush to leave Friday I forgot the gel freezer packs (and my mate his sleeping bag) - so we kept two trout in a plastic bag only and prepped them back at camp about 3-5hrs later. Both suffered bending (rigor mortis?) and faded appearance - presume at least 1 of these can be lessened by earlier prep - but were tasty in the foil and fire with lemon and salt.

First day my mate got 3 good plate size browns while I only managed to drop 2 - done in on off downpour. Day two he experienced the inverse of fishing with almost every trouble you can experience spinning and I got 2 back - again in parts of downpour. Fishing cliche incoming - he was hooked so we will hit the river again in the new year!

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:46 am

Hey mate, in my opinion even if you can't keep them on ice, my siggestion would be to cut from gills to bum and gut it. Cut the bloodline inside him (cant remember if there is in trout as I have not prepped one in a very very long time) and remove the gills. Just like prepping any fish! If it were me, I would place the gel pack wrapped in some roller towel inside the trout to keep it cool from the inside. By cutting and gutting straight away you should stop the bend. Let us know how you go next time!

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 am

Regarding storing them after capture/cleaning etc, I think it would be worthwhile carrying them in a small wet hessian bag. Based on the coolgardie fridge concept...I believe it would be worth a try. I use wet hessian bags over my worm farm and yabbie buckets to keep them cool...works a treat.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Other Species”