Small stream fly fishing

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Small stream fly fishing

Post by mazman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Headed down to a small stream for my first attempt at getting trout on fly this season. Arrived to find the river a little high with a bit of colour (in my opinion perfect for the particular river). We started off blindly working the first run until we saw a couple of fish rising in the bubble line a bit further up the river, a few rejected presentations later and we finally had a take a small 27cm brown to hand. It was at this point another group of fly fishers walked past us right next to the river (term is used loosely closer to a creek) we weren't exceptionally happy about this and all the trout that were rising along the bubble line stopped rising. Undeterred we continued working away up the river but it was very quiet until we had moved up past where the other group had fished to. Almost dark now and the evening rise was just starting to kick off but there was no real consistency to the rising, finally we found a fish that was feeding a little heavier. It took a long cast and some careful balancing on a log to present a fly to it but the first drift over it's head it scoffed my fly, a short fight later and I had him in the net. Another brown slightly smaller than dad's at 26cm. After this we set off on the walk back to the car under the remarkably bright moon light.

Sorry for the lack of photos, took a few but they have all turned out rather poorly.

Cheers Alex

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Small stream fly fishing

Post by meppstas » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Good to see you finally got a session in with the fly Alex, didn't go home with a donut either.. Well done... :thumbsup:
I can never understand other fishers sometimes why he hell they have to walk along the river bank and spook everything off, especially when they see you working a river. I've had it done to me a few times and i know how you feel, it's even worse when they walk past you while you're in the river and then hop in the river some thirty meters ahead and start fishing.. makes my blood boil... :oops: :down:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:30 pm

mazman wrote:It was at this point another group of fly fishers walked past us right next to the river (term is used loosely closer to a creek) we weren't exceptionally happy about this and all the trout that were rising along the bubble line stopped rising.
That was me and a mate that passed you guys. It was pretty tough going. Ended up with a couple from below the where we parked the cars.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:34 pm

meppstas wrote:Good to see you finally got a session in with the fly Alex, didn't go home with a donut either.. Well done... :thumbsup:
I can never understand other fishers sometimes why he hell they have to walk along the river bank and spook everything off, especially when they see you working a river. I've had it done to me a few times and i know how you feel, it's even worse when they walk past you while you're in the river and then hop in the river some thirty meters ahead and start fishing.. makes my blood boil... :oops: :down:

cheers
Adrian
We didn't walk up the river, we went bush, leaving a couple of pools and runs untouched.

mazman

Post by mazman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:41 pm

greggo wrote:
meppstas wrote:Good to see you finally got a session in with the fly Alex, didn't go home with a donut either.. Well done... :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
We didn't walk up the river, we went bush, leaving a couple of pools and runs untouched.
I don't think it was you then, the younger of the two guys who passed us was right next to the river for the pool we were at, they did move away from the river afterwards.
If it was you and a friend that passed us, first of all nice to sort of meet you (circumstances could have been better), I am fine with people overtaking on rivers (we were actively fishing a pool) just put a a bit of bush between yourself and the water when doing so, there was a fish rising in 20cm of water right on the edge of the creek that I was pursuing but it was spooked afterwards.

mazman

Post by mazman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:49 pm

greggo wrote:
mazman wrote:It was at this point another group of fly fishers walked past us right next to the river (term is used loosely closer to a creek) we weren't exceptionally happy about this and all the trout that were rising along the bubble line stopped rising.
That was me and a mate that passed you guys. It was pretty tough going. Ended up with a couple from below the where we parked the cars.
Was tough going but it has definitely approved from last season, much more fish in that section of the river, Be interesting to see how it copes with the predicted hot weather over summer.

Cheers Alex

safia

Post by safia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Great report Maz, small stream fly fishing is hard to beat. The streams are easy to read, fly selection doesn't matter too much and they don't shy away from a dry. :victory:

Return to “Other Species”