3 Carp lost to a small hook

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
simon2g

3 Carp lost to a small hook

Post by simon2g » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:23 am

Hey guys,

I was fishing unweighted yesterday and I'm pretty new to it. It's been great the amount of bites and fish that pick up my bait but i am yet to land a fish using the unweighted method. Yesterday i was fishing in a snaggy hole which seemed to hold quite a lot of carp. Berleyed with bread, chucked on a size 6 circle hook as I wanted to see how i go with small hooks. Previously i was using size 6 BH which are quite a bit larger than the size 6 circle.

Anyway I hooked 3 carp during my ~2 hour session, and lost them all. Every time it was a similar story, the first two i hooked and as soon as they went for a run once they had finished that run and the line was tight, my hook broke off from the line. Now I've always tied my knots well and with alot of care, and never had this happen before. Only now with this small hook, wondering if a different knot is better for the smaller hooks? I am using the clinch knot. I had braid ML 6LB, to flurocarbon leader 4LB pretty light, but line didnt break the knot did.

I decided to upsize my hook as I thought I'd be able to get into one, once I upsized I got plenty of bites but no takes. This happened for about half hour, before I switched back to the smaller hook once more, and took extra care with the knot, also passing it through the loop twice (improved clinch knot) this time to ensure knot strength.

Same thing happened again, and there is no chance he broke me off on a snag, as the first two were pretty much at the surface when they broke off as I was fishing 3-4M infront of me.

I don't know what to do from here, as I don't wanna drop more fish.. but I dont wanna lose those chances to from going to a bigger hook. I know people have success on carp with bigger hooks, but so far I've seen a massive difference by downsizing my hooks in terms of activity from fish.

Cheers,

Simon.

Corndiggly

Re: 3 Carp lost to a small hook

Post by Corndiggly » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:41 am

Do you lubricate the line prior to tightening up? The heat caused by not lubricating the line can damage it and cause it to break at far less than breaking strain.

Also do you have your drag set too tight? Carp can be big powerful fish so if you have the drag locked they will bust you off on 4lb pretty easily, its best to take your time, let them run (hearing the drag peel off is the best part of fishing anyway haha) and tire them out before bringing them close to shore.

Could try a palomar knot as an alternative and see how that goes.

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:12 am

I had my drag pretty tight yeah, not overly tight but tight. This was because I was literally fishing either side of a massive christmas tree snag, and fallen tree snag. It was good fish water but if i land one there bloody hell, would be difficult. I'll try for light try and try to keep them out of the snags by walking in the opposite direction.

Cheers

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:14 am

When I was Coarse Fishing years ago, I used size 12 or 14 hook with 2 kilo line and landed some big carp. I have never had any success with Carp and Circle Hooks, yet others I know swear by them.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:24 am

I've never had a problem with carp on circle hooks, my problem is when I'm looking for carp I can't find them. I also use 1/0 hooks in the river here, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:02 am

Your knot and not your hook is the problem. I often find using clinch knots and small hooks the final twist loops around the eye of the hook and is on the shaft instead of snugging down onto the knot.

Use a double threaded uni knot if you can, if not just be really particular about tying up.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:22 am

What Dougie said plus use a heavier leader, no need to go that light for carp, 8lb will take a lot more pressure and abrasion.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:47 pm

I love circle hooks it makes it easier as less chance on gut hooking a fish with just makes it easier to get the hook out.

Perhaps the hook was set before it was in the mouth enough I fished today along the Yarra but the section I fished is rather shallow and snaggy and the river runs pretty hard I used 6lb line a small enough sinker tied and maybe 30-40cm of 6lb leader with a small 1/0 gamakatsu circle I hooked 3 fish and dropped one well one one got me rediculously snagged n I gave up n busted him off as I was getting nowhere also fished on a rising barometer

Lines down at 10:00 up at 12:15

Lighter gear makes it a lot more fun but I haven't really had a problem bringing in a 10lb carp on 6lb line
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Right, I'll go for 6-8lb leader I think then and try out that knot dougie, cheers guys for the help.

One other thing, mainly for rivers, if the flow is quite decent what types of size sinkers and rigs should ya use? I usually prefer simple rigs and have caught most carp on running sinker/patanoster rig, with a ball sinker. But was wondering if going a little bit bigger and then putting a stopper as a split shot or something so that it suspends down on the bottom and the bait then lifts up of the bottom in the current and floats around

Haven't fished to much in moving water that's all

Gav the unweighted method has been goin alright mate been getting plenty of action, **** that i've dropped a few. ill get that fixed up though.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:30 am

For heavier flow my rig is 6lb main line small bomb sinker (2oz) - small swivel - 30-40cm of 6-10lb fluorocarbon leader - 1/0or 2/0 circle! When using worms I thread the worm onto the hook as it's presented more naturally in the water (just careful u don't lose it while casting) once u get a bit pick the rod up and you'll feel the rest of the bites up the worm until u get the big one (hooks in the mouth) set and enjoy!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Return to “Other Species”