Proposed minimum size limits for trout!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Rod Bender

Proposed minimum size limits for trout!

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:25 am

Hi all
I noticed in one of fisheries media releases posted by Jon that they are looking at introducing minimum sizes for trout.
fishingvic wrote:Media Release
Monday 21 September 2015 | Media contact: Nick Foster (03) 8392 6254
http://www.economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au

Wild trout conference approaching fast

Recreational anglers wanting to learn more about Victoria’s stream trout populations are being reminded to register for the free wild trout conference to be held in Mansfield on Saturday 21 November.

“Conference participants will also have the opportunity to discuss the proposed introduction of a minimum size for trout and hear from scientists about how different minimum sizes would impact trout stocks and harvest opportunities.
The push for minimum size limits is part of the goverment's 'one million whatever' plan. I myself do not agree with it believing the introduced species already have satisfactory protection and in deed, compared to some natives such as yellas, the trout seem to get more protection. No doubt they get so much protection because of the tourist dollar value they have. As opposed to the much maligned redfin which as far as I'm concerned does not do more damage than trout...other than the redfin does carry a virus. On saying that, I do fish for both and enjoy it. Just think fisheries could pay a bit more attention to our natives. And last but not least, as the dry weather continues, I believe the trout are going to struggle anyway!

If you have any thoughts on the subject (of course you may agree with the proposal) email fisheries or message them on Facebook. ..before the 21 st of November would be good!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Fishsniper

Re: Proposed minimum size limits for trout!

Post by Fishsniper » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:45 pm

I tend to agree with you jim, probably no need to introduce a size limit on trout although they are my favorite sport fish and considering they are a stocked species. I can see good and bad reasons for size limits but when it comes to small country towns having to rely on tourist dollars, I do have a soft spot for them, I know it costs me a small fortune to go to Toolondo for a fish but the towns along the way certainly benefit, lets leave this one up to fisheries :thumbsup:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:27 pm

They're basically just edible carp, if anyone wants to take a few small ones I don't see the problem.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:39 pm

4liters wrote:They're basically just edible carp, if anyone wants to take a few small ones I don't see the problem.
Yep, I agree jim :thumbsup:

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:51 pm

Put your thoughts into words and put a submission in.

Fisheries are asking what all anglers think,so here's your chance

Mine is in :thumbsup:

toygtr

Post by toygtr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Small streams can only support a certain population of trout. If too many are taken from a stream, big and small trout they can be easily overfished, and the trout in that stream will be lost.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:06 pm

toygtr wrote:Small streams can only support a certain population of trout. If too many are taken from a stream, big and small trout they can be easily overfished, and the trout in that stream will be lost.
x2, have seen it happen on a few of my old favourite streams. A min size to stop these streams getting completely wiped out is something that I think will be very beneficial to the fisheries.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:12 am

mazman wrote:
toygtr wrote:Small streams can only support a certain population of trout. If too many are taken from a stream, big and small trout they can be easily overfished, and the trout in that stream will be lost.
x2, have seen it happen on a few of my old favourite streams. A min size to stop these streams getting completely wiped out is something that I think will be very beneficial to the fisheries.

I don't often fish freshwater for Trout, so i can't really comment, but the above posts make sense.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 am

I don't see any benefit at all in keeping small trout. I build the same argument about these knobs taking undersize bream / pinkies. WTF are you going to do with a 17cm rainbow? You can't really get a feed off it and you're just removing the possiblity of it making more rainbows.

Don't hate the idea 5 per day 20 plus with only one or two over a certain size.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:53 am

Fish-Hunter wrote:
mazman wrote:

I don't often fish freshwater for Trout, so i can't really comment, but the above posts make sense.
To some of us it doesn't make sense when an introduced species (trout) get so much protection! I have no doubt anyway it is going to happen so if fisheries choose to go down this path, they will no doubt choose a suitable standard to make sure the trout population is sustainable. And just to repeat, if anyone wants to have their say, contact fisheries.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Other Species”